Sunday, August 29, 2010

GOING TO THE DOGS! 8/29/10

IT IS BELIEVED the origin of "Going to the Dogs" came from ancient China. Dogs by tradition, were not permitted within the city walls. Stray dogs roamed the area outside of the city and lived off the garbage and trash thrown there by the city dwellers. Not only dogs were there, but also criminals and social outcasts were forced to live there. When the people were sent to live among the rubbish, it was coined; "gone to the dogs!" Obviously, this would mean that their lives had taken a turn for the worse.

EVER SINCE I can remember, we have had a dog until the last 12 years. I love dogs, don't you? Just recently some friends of ours took over a 6 month old pup from their daughter. His name is Bentley! In their household it is like taking a new born baby to raise. They have been empty nesters for many years; even though grandchildren have been their name of the game.

I HAVE WANTED a small dog to love because my children are grown and my three grandsons don't need us as much as they once did. A small dog wouldn't require much, except the necessary training and perhaps letting it in or out during the day and night. Feeding a small dog wouldn't cost much; even though the vet bill could run high sometimes.

GETTING A SMALL DOG at our age doesn't mean that we would be going to the dogs. It wouldn't mean that our lives would change all that much. It doesn't mean that we would be living as we did 30 years ago because we had a dog. It would mean I would have something that loved me unconditionally and would sit on my lap and look at me with loving adoration. You know, just like my little Beagle Frosty, and even Foxy Lady did, so many years ago. Sometimes we just need that extra little loving that just makes you feel good.

USUALLY as I begin writing a Morning Glory I have no idea where it will lead me. As I began writing about dogs my thought went to; "Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under foot and turn to attack you." Matthew 7:6 I believe today, many treat their animals better than each other. On the other hand, many mistreat their animals and are taken to account for that.

SO WHAT DOES it mean, not to give dogs what is holy because they could trample them? I looked at Acts 13:45 where Paul is talking to the multitude and some of the Jews became jealous and began to make fun of him. Sometimes when we are trying to share the gospel there are some who will begin to ridicule you and laugh. "He who corrects a scoffer gets himself abused and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury." So, do not reprove a scoffer or he will hate you; reprove a wise man and he will love you." Proverbs 9:7-8 Dogs do not understand special favors except to satisfy their appetite. A scoffer doesn't want to listen to the truth and the wicked man is always ready to hurt someone.

REMEMBER the story of the Canaanite woman that cried out; "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David; my daughter is severely possessed by a demon." Matthew 15:22 The Canaanite's were considered dogs to the Jewish people. The disciples wanted to send her away! Jesus responded to her with; "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel." verse 24 After she again pleaded, Jesus said in verse 26; "It is not fair to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs."

I LOVED HER ANSWER in verse 27; "Yes, Lord, yet even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master's table." Jesus liked her answer and commended her faith. Her daughter was healed! Even the worst of the worst deserves a chance in Jesus Christ! Even those we find despicable deserves to hear about the saving grace of Jesus. However, when you are rejected, let them go. Take the value of God's Word to those who have ears to hear. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 8/28/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Having a dog has taken on a whole different meaning for me once I was introduced into "dog training." Now I see why we used to get rid of dogs. They were annoying because we didn't take them to training school. Now we love our trained dog, even let him sleep on our bed. Not that he isn't ever disobedient--such as when a squirrel enters his territory. Oh my, he goes crazy. And how he can beg for scraps from the table. Course that might be our fault since we occasionally share some scraps with him. The worse problem dogs have owners that didn't train them. So it isn't the poor dogs fault--but the owners. God did give us dominion after all.