Sunday, September 5, 2010

30 DAYS HATH SEPTOBER! 9/5/10

I MAY HAVE TALKED about this before, but recently,I looked it up on the internet and discovered the way I learned it, is a lot different than anyone else; and I like mine best. "30 days hath Septober, April, June and no wonder; all the rest have butterscotch, except for Grandma and she can't ride a bicycle no how!" The 1st version says; "30 days hath Septober, April, June and no wonder; all the rest have peanut butter, except for Grandma who has a red wagon!" What do you think?

WHEN I WAS 9 years old I became acquainted with the Sunday School Superintendent at Lawndale church. He was the one that rang the big school bell that was in the belfry. He would pull the long rope and the bell would call all the Sunday School classes to order. I always wanted to pull the rope but I wasn't tall enough. Each Sunday morning he would greet me with some quirky saying. One September Sunday morning he quoted the 30 days hath Septober. I loved it! I wanted it for my own! Every Sunday morning I would ask him to say it again and again, until I finally had it memorized. I will never forget Keith Hamilton!

MY FIRST SUNDAY in the 4th grade Sunday School class, they were memorizing Matthew 28:19-20. The kids kept encouraging me to get it memorized before the class ended cause I would get a prize. I remember trying to memorize that verse and believe it or not, I had it by the end of the class time. I said it and received a prize! I don't remember the prize but I still remember Matthew 28:19-20.

WHAT WAS THE FIRST scripture you ever memorized? What was your second? Memorizing scripture is important to our well being. I was told the story about a missionary to China who was arrested and put into prison. He was held captive for many years and when he was finally released he said; "The only thing that kept me alive and sane were the many scriptures I had learned by memory. Reciting those scriptures over and over kept my mind upon Jesus Christ and not on my condition of life."

"STUDY TO SHOW thyself approved unto God, a workman who needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15 This was the second scripture I learned as a child. It is the scripture that has grounded me in the Bible; God's Holy Word! During my life time I have learned many scriptures but I can't remember where they are found. Has that ever happened to you? It doesn't matter because most of those scriptures, I use when dealing with the Devil. He knows where they are found; I am just confident in using them, so I can send him packing.

AS AN EXERCISE, write down all the scriptures you have memorized. Out to the side of each scripture write down what the scripture means and how it has helped you in your walk with our Savior. Let's make it a practice to never forget the words that God speaks to us personally and the ones He wants us to use to reach others. I love God's Word and I love studying it!

"THE SAYING IS SURE; If we have died with Him, we shall also live with Him; if we endure, we shall also reign with Him; if we deny Him, He also will deny us; if we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself." 2 Timothy 2:11-13 "God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal; "The Lord knows those who are His, and Let every one who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity." 2 Timothy 2:19 We must remain faithful and knowing God's Word is one of those ways to stand firm. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/2/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Remember at White City when I tried to get people to join me and the kids in memorizing the entire chapter of Matthew 28 for Easter? Corey was in the first grade, Connie in the 6th and Curt in the 8th. At their next conference all their teachers told me how amazing each of them were doing with their school work. Curt got on the honor roll, the only time ever. Bill Gothard always told about the amazing benefits of memorizing scripture but not until we actually did it ourselves did we really believe him. I was so impressed that I was going to do it more. I didn't. What I difference it could have made in their education. (Kick myself here.)