Sunday, September 12, 2010

CHURCH OF TOMORROW? 9/12/10

FOR MANY YEARS I have heard; "The children are the church of tomorrow!" I don't know when or why that was started but I have to agree it has a profound sound. However, children have always been the church of today! Without children within the church, no matter when, there would be no church of tomorrow. As far as I can remember I have been involved with the church of the day. I was 12 years old when the preacher asked me to be on the drapery committee. 12 years old! Drapery committee!

I AM NOT SURE I influenced the others on the committee, but they acknowledged me and I was pleased as punch to be a part of that decision. I learned to help plan and execute many functions with the youth group. I learned just about everything I know today, in Sunday School and in Junior Church. I attended the youth groups from the time I was old enough until I married and then I helped with the high school Christian Endeavor group in planning their youth banquets.

THE COLLEGE AND CAREER group were a little more adventurous because they would go to the large Los Angeles General Hospital, once a month, to help the Chaplain hold the Christian church service and serve communion. For as long as I can remember we attended the sings held at various churches, not to mention the once a month Sing held in Compton, California. Many churches would fellowship together at the 5th Sunday Rallies. Those were happening times!

WE HAD BASEBALL teams and basketball teams that would participate in the church league; some within the community and some with churches of like faith. Didn't matter whether it was soft ball, slow pitch or the hoops; it was a grand time for those who coached, played and the ones who came to cheer the teams on. You may think I am merely nostalgic for times past, and I suppose you could be right. After all, the church was a home away from home for all of us kids who were the church then and grew up to be the church now. The church doesn't stand still, it keeps moving. Those who are a part of it, start at the beginning and keep moving with it.

THROUGH THE YEARS, many of those young people that I knew as a teenager, still get together once a year. Their lives have taken them in different directions and they are part of the body in other towns. They still have that longing in their hearts to reunite with old friends and families; to get caught up with one another and to remember those who have already reached their final destination.

WE EXPERIENCED song leading classes; Bible drills; planning and leading in the youth meetings, along with Sunrise services on Easter Morning. We memorized scriptures and had lengthy biblical discussions. As a young woman, I became a chairman of the month as part of the women's ministry. My committee would prepare and clean up for the communion service. We planned the monthly fellowship and also planned a table for the annual birthday banquet.

LIFE IN THE FAST LANE has nothing on the life in a happening church. Today, I have heard people complain because the church is planning another pot luck or they need money to send some kids to camp. Today, we have allowed our worldly commitments over shadow the obligations we have established within the church. Have we forgotten our first love?

"PREACH THE WORD, be urgent in season and out of season, convince, rebuke and exhort, be unfailing in patience and in teaching. For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings. And will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths." 2 Timothy 4:2-4 "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!" Joshua 24:15c Let's forget about ourselves and magnify the Lord, He is coming soon! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/9/10

No comments: