Saturday, September 4, 2010

90 YEARS AND COUNTING! 9/4/10

IT USED TO BE when someone turned 90, we considered that to be the one of last aged milestones. Fern is 90 and acts and thinks like she is 70 plus. I have met others who are in their late 90's and still counting. The average life span was considered 3 score and 10 or by reason of strenth 4 score. This means 70 or 80 years! I am 72 so I must be on the down swing. It's okay; I can finally say I am happy where I am.

LAST WEEKEND,the church of my youth celebrated 90 years of existence in Lawndale, California. The Mayor spoke and many old timers were recognized for their faithfulness along with many who came from all over to celebrate a reunion of beginnings, so many years ago.

I AM SO HAPPY that Pastor Eddie is interested in the history of this church. I remember walking down the halls and looking at baby pictures of the cradle roll when I was a girl. Many of those who were in those photo's I still consider as my friends. My age group never made it in the picture gallery, only because we came into the church long after that period of picture taking.

RECOGNITION was given to Dorrie, who had attended there for 75 years. She was probably around 2 or 3 years old when she made the scene at Lawndale. And a grand entrance, towards the end of the service, was the honorary candle bearing birthday cake which was rolled down the isle. What can be better than that! It was one of those "feel good" moments within a church families life time.

I UNDERSTAND the walls on Sunday were filled with many old pictures and memorabilia that told the story of this glorious church, that in Christ, was without spot or wrinkle. We know that the church is subject to Jesus Christ and because of that we are to be subject to one another. "That He might present the church to Himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish." Ephesians 5:27

DON'T GET ME WRONG; I am not saying that this body was without its problems! However, 90 years is a good long time for a continuous run; don't you think? The church is commanded to keep itself above reproach. "I charge you to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Timothy 6:14 Paul is instructing Timothy to keep the Word of God unstained. Timothy was a preacher, many have preached at Lawndale and it is still going strong. Hallelujah! We continue to pray for Pastor Eddie!

I UNDERSTAND the sermon was based on "I am the vine and ye are the branches!" In the book of John, Jesus calls His Father the vine dresser and He is the vine. We are His branches! Many have labored in the vineyard at Lawndale Christian Church during the past; some are laboring even now and those in the future are still to come. The invitation was given to all who would belong to the root and become branches fulfilling the legacy that Jesus established upon the cross.

THOSE OF US who could not attend were surely there in spirit; I know I was! I was thrilled to hear the excitement in my sister Jean's voice as she related to me the happenings on Sunday. I was pleased as my friend, Iona Kay filled in with some of the details and between the two of them I felt like I was there. I imagined the cake and the candles along with the oohs and aahs. I can imagine the tears of those visiting with one another after such a long absence, one from another.

THE DOORS CLOSED on a church we had attended for many years, because church doors close throughout Christendom for one reason or another; we know these things happen! To hear of a church building and it's location, with the doors still open for 90 years and counting, can only warm our hearts and bring pleasure to our Lord. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/1/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

How wonderful--90 years. And yes, how very sad we are about White City--heartbroken actually. To think that we and our kids don't have that "home" to go back to--hurts deeply. And of course we all think--what did we do wrong all those years of labor? But occasionally we meet up with someone from all those years and find them faithful and are so encouraged. We met a young woman at a Christian Ed convention a few years back who attended there as a child--without her parents. She mentioned things like those little red fuzzy pillows we gave out for learning verses or some such thing and that she still had hers. She told us how much those years of SS attendanced meant to her and here she was now, teaching herself. Wow. That did our hearts good. Occasionally I wonder about certain kids--like Theresas kids, like Vicky Harvey, like that little boy that looked at the picture of Jesus on a cross and asked"Why do you have a picture of a man like that at church?" He hadn't a clue what church was all about. All those years of cantatas, special programs and kids musicals. I know those memories mean a great deal to our kids and I hope they mean a lot of many others who passed through those doors. I hope to meet many of them in heaven. Ahhh.. . . .the day of no more separation.