Thursday, February 12, 2009

Flowers and chocolates are synonymous with Valentines day. You can't go wrong with either one when giving a gift nor receiving one of these Valentine favorites. Today we are going to zero in on a favorite of mine; chocolate!
CHOCOLATE
As a child, I don’t ever remember having much chocolate except for chocolate pudding. My Dad was a cook! Later on he told me he was a breakfast cook but that he could cook anything. Most of the time I loved my Mom and Dad’s cooking. My biggest struggle was when Daddy made chocolate pudding. Of course it was home made and was cooked on top of the stove. I am sure the chocolate he used was Baker’s non-sweeten chocolate squares. It always looked inviting and surely it would taste as good as it looked. Wrong! The unspoken rule in our household was to clean your plate. It was hard to eat this pudding without tasting the bitterness. However, I learned to hold my breath as I would take a bite and immediately swallow.

Years later chocolate morsels such as cake, cookies with chocolate chips along with boxes filled with delectable delights found there way into our home. Whoever thought that even the name of chocolate could tantalize the tastebuds was clever.

I was looking at a book and thought I saw the word, ‘chocolate. Immediately, I said to Jim; "Chocolate! I think we should have a chocolate"! Everyone who is not allergic will have a chocolate moment every now and again. I usually have a package of dark chocolate in a drawer for such a time as that.

When Jim puts a piece of chocolate in his mouth he allows it to melt and then when it is very small, he chews it. Now me, on the other hand, I take a small bite and savor it by feeling it’s smoothness with my tongue and then I chew it up. Then, I take another small bite. I find it difficult to let it melt in my mouth. I need that burst of smooth, velvet chocolate exploding in my mouth with every bite.

I suppose if a psychologist were to explain the differences between Jim and me eating chocolate it would go like this; "Jim is one that mulls over a matter in his mind with forethought and concentration before he opens his mouth to speak . Jane Ann is more apt to make a quick response". Perhaps with this evaluation in mind, you will understand why I listen to Jim when I need to ponder a subject and/or when I have responded too quickly.

James 1:18-19 says; We are to be first fruits among His creation. We know this! But we are also to be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger. James 4:10 says; "Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you". Whenever I look at the word humble it makes me think of slowing down. Taking your time! Using good behavior! Also in James 3:13 it says; "Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom". In verse 17 James continues with; "But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy." I am an impatient person! I am also an introvert but when it comes to God’s word I can’t wait. I’ve just got to say whatever is in my mind. I am not saying that what I do is a good thing. I am saying, if I can control my chocolate moments I need to learn to control my desire to speak His truth and not step into confusion that can be caused when impatience overtakes the moment. Is there such a thing as a "wise moment"?

Many scriptures in Psalm lift us up and encourages us. There is a passage in Psalm 37:27-34 where the Psalmist talks about those who trust and obey the Lord. He also talks about the rewards of the wicked. "We are to do good, for the Lord loves justice and does not forsake those who follow Him. It says that the mouth of the righteous utters wisdom and his tongue speaks justice. The law of God is in his heart and his steps will not fail". A controlled ‘chocolate moment’ is tasty; but a controlled ‘wise moment’ is tasteful! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/14/08

No comments: