Friday, February 20, 2009

To complete our dialogue for this week we will add a shared memo that will include an element that gives us just one more avenue to the would be complexities and the relevancy of todays issues of being single.
WHY NOT SINGLE?
God has used many single women to change the trends of the world. We have read about Mary and Martha; Mary Magdalene; we are reminded of Dorcas who as a widow gave of her time and talents for others! We have heard of women such as Florence Nightingale and even women of today like Condolisa Rice. As single women we can be all that God has created us to be - If we haven’t done that so far, we need to begin doing just that.

God has used many single men to lead the way down many adventurous roads. Of course Paul comes to mind, even though many wonder if perhaps he had been married. My brother Lonnie who loved and lost took care of his siblings financially for most of our lives. He never resented his lot in life. My brother Layton who loved many times, died before he could leave blessed singleness, taught me about relationships. Another brother, Larry who also loved and lost, left us with many memories of a tough guy who wanted to be all that he could be.

My daughter Jennifer is single! What a blessing she is to us, her parents. However, if that day should come that she changes this status for marriage, God will give her that edge to become all that he has created her to be in that role. Meanwhile, happiness is a state of mind and she is happy!

A dear friend, who follows Morning Glory says; "It seemed like you were speaking right to me today. Of course, I really do know all of those things, but it is good to be reminded. But as singleness was thrust upon me by circumstances beyond my control, I am not really all that happy about it. I lament the fact that I have no one in my bed at night. That is the most lonely time. Ah...the empty bed... Someday I am going to write about the empty bed and the loss of one’s sexual partner. But as yet, I have not. Most people in my groups skirt around it and a few brave souls sometimes mention it. It is a fact! But all of those things you mention and Paul mentions are very true. So we who are left behind take comfort in those words and try to apply them to our lives". "A real widow, who has been left alone has fixed her hope on God, and continues in entreaties and prayers night and day"; 1 Timothy 5:5 "I claim the promise, that God takes the place of my husband and rely on Him a lot. I pray for wisdom many times during the day and since I don’t have my husband to talk it over with I talk to the Lord about it."

Through circumstances it is always hard to adjust from marriage to singleness. God never said we must be single or we must be married. God said to love one another! God never said that being married brings more happiness than being single. Paul says about the single person; "And he who refrains from marriage will do better"! and about the widow; "But in my judgment they will be happier if they remain as they are"; (1 Corinthians 7:38b and 40a) God says that being single or married is only good when He is part of the equation. Loving God is what brings happiness! Loving God is what makes life work to it’s fullest! Jane Ann

No comments: