Friday, February 13, 2009

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT!
In the 50's
there was a recording by Joanie James called; "Little Things Mean a Lot"! A lovely little song! I am not sure how far on the charts it went but everybody was singing it. Can you remember the little things that were endearing to you? Can you remember the little things you would do for that special person? We celebrate a day called ‘Valentines Day’ because the card companies picked up on a sad story about a man named Valentine. Apparently there were many Valentines of record but the one I believe started it all was taken from the legend of Aurea. This version was a priest who refused a law that required young men to remain single because they would make better soldiers. However, priest Valentine secretly performed marriage ceremonies and was arrested and thrown into jail. Before he was executed on February 14th, he is reported to have performed a miracle by healing the blind daughter of his jailer. This priest supposedly wrote the first "valentine" himself which was addressed to either his beloved or perhaps the young girl he befriended and healed. It was a note that read "From your Valentine."

I remember being required to bring valentines to all my class mates. I always wanted to buy the cards that had envelopes but we couldn’t afford those. At the end of the day, the cards would all be passed out among the classmates. It always became a contest as to who received the most cards. I never won!

Valentines Day is okay! I can’t say it is important to me. Once in a while Jim and I remember to give each other cards but mostly we remember the grand kids and my daughter. Very seldom is it a special night out, just for the two of us. However, there are many out there who place a special emphasis on this day.

As the song says; "Throw me a kiss from across the room; Say I look nice when I’m not;
Little things mean a lot". I suppose I am more sentimental than most but then I have had a lot of years to think about all the little things. Jim never fails to take my hand when we are walking; I never fail to reach for his! We meet in the hall way or come into a room and find ourselves in each others arms. A kiss, a smile and then we go on our way! When the sun goes down, I can walk into my bedroom and find the bed has been turned down and I feel like I am in a grand hotel that includes special services. When I want a package that is way in the back on the bottom grocery shelf, he has laid on his belly to reach as far as possible to get me the last one. What a guy! Little things mean a lot!

Many times we read the story of Mary and Martha and we have heard it preached from the pulpit, but I prefer to refer to this story as Martha and Mary. We seem to think that God looked more favorably upon Mary than he did Martha but I know that all the little things that Martha did were more appreciated by Jesus than we could ever imagine. Obviously, she had a lovely home; Enough room for her brother and sister to live with her; She always looked forward to having Jesus and his disciples come. Martha had a servants heart!

Even though Martha was busy and Mary sat at his feet, Martha had listened because she gave the right responses to Jesus when he arrived after her brother died. "Yes, Lord; I have believed that You are the Christ, the Son of God, even He who comes into the world"; John 11:27. Sometimes being busy gives the appearance of not paying attention to what is going on around us. But not so with Martha! Not so with Jesus, as he watched Mary; "When Jesus therefore saw her weeping and the Jews who came with her, also weeping, He was deeply moved in spirit, and was troubled; and said, "Where have you laid him?" They said to Him, Lord, come and see"; Jesus wept!"; John 11:33-35. Little things mean a lot! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/4/09

Enjoy your day of flowers, chocolates and all the little things that mean a lot!

No comments: