Wednesday, October 28, 2009

GOD'S SEASONS - Leaves of Red and Gold!

Autum is spectacular! Autumn is colorful! The beginning of this season becomes most apparent when the nights become noticeably earlier. Of course we change our times in our part of the world which makes it even darker earlier. Many believe tht when the equinox occur; that is when Autumn begins. The equinox is when the sun crosses the equator and day and night are equal everywhere.

For me what heralds the beginning of Autumn is when the leaves change color and begin to fall. The sun causes the trees and plants to make chlorophyll and makes them green. When the sun is lacking, the green trees and plants become red, gold, orange and brown.

Autumn is an Old French word. Before the 16th century, harvest was the term used to refer to this season. Only in North America the English word for the season is Fall. This term is traced back to its origins of Old Germanic languages. Not sure when, where or why but sometimes we just have to put our trust in the encylopedias. Our acceptance of the term Fall for this season dates back to when our country was very young. New settlers brought their language with them. It went out of style in England but became popular in the new world; even though Autumn was preferred in the scientific and literary realms, Fall became America's word of choice.

Why Fall? Why not! It apply describes what is happening. September 21st officially heralds in Fall. Lately as I look out of my bedroom doors I look upon the essence of Fall. I have a bird feeder sitting in the middle of my deck and all the birds in our area find their way there several times during the day. Scattered all around the feeder are tiny yellow leaves that have fallen off of the Aspen tree across the deck. It's a beautiful sight full of poetry, song and majesty.

In years past this season has been celebrated because it came at the end of harvest time. Today, Fall summons the celebrations of back to school, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. This season is a time of maturity, as the harvest is ready and preparations are made for the imminent arrival of winter that begins officially around, December 21st.

Today, I am celebrating the Autumn of Life. Maturity has taken over and I must look forward to the inevitability of old age and yes, death. Autumn marks a melancholy time for me as I remember my past; remember those who have walked with me; those events and times that have brought sorrow and great happiness. Today, Fall brings beauty, peace, comfort and even anticipation of things to come.

Many have read and studied the woman of Proverbs 31. Many look at this woman and say WOW! I believe that God speaks to each woman through these words to lift up and encourage us to become the kind of woman He has created us to be. "She puts on strength and honor as if they were her clothes. She can laugh at the days that are coming. She speaks wisely and she teaches faithfully." Proverbs 31:25-26

Having been a busy wife and mother within the church all my life, I now have wondered, what I should be doing within God's Kingdom. "Bid the older women likewise to be reverent in behavior, not to be slanderers or slaves to drink; they are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be sensible, chaste, domestic, kind and submissive to their husbands, that the word of God may not be discredited." Titus 2:3-6 That is my job! As God continues to do His work, I must continue to do His work. Fall, Autumn or Harvest time is my time of life and I must be about my Father's business. Where do you fall into place? How do you see yourself? Are you prepared; are you ready and willing to seek His face and to do His work, as He has outlined for you to do? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/20/09

No comments: