Thursday, October 15, 2009

HOLY LAND REVISITED - Jordan

The morning of March 18th we checked out of the Hyatt Regency, loaded up the buses around 8:30 am and headed for Masada. We stopped at the Dead Sea for lunch. A spa resort with many hotels and lots of people in bathing suits floating on top of the murky waters because of the salt content. Everyone could float! Bathing in the Dead Sea is good for your skin, especially psoriasis. When you got out, it was imperative that you rinse your body off because the salt would dry and become crusted and then would be hard to remove.

Our lunch was provided in a cafeteria. We had french fries! What a treat! Lots of good buys such as a cologne called Essence of Jerusalem. I bought several bottles for me. I also bought gift products made by Ahava which was made out of the mud of the Dead Sea. Items like foot cream, body lotion and hand creams. I love this product!

As we resumed our bus ride through more desolate country, our driver pointed out some hills and said that they were where the Dead Sea Scrolls were located. Pointing towards the caves above Qumran, we could only imagine the Monks placing them there so they would be protected when their land was taken captive. We finally arrived at Masada. Masada has always held some mystery and romance for me. I could hardly believe I was here and wanted so desperately to see this place. However, my fear of heights overrode my desires as they had a cable tram that took you to the top. Then you were to walk up a narrow path on the side of the wall. I couldn't do it! Why couldn't I just repeat to myself; "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; whom shall I dread? Psalm 27:1 Jim and Marie took the tour that I insisted we do. The incredible story of a small band of people and how they held their fort against the Romans, is powerful. When the siege was completed the Romans found all dead except for a couple of women and a few children. This story is not bibilical, but of history.

Another place I had dreamed of seeing was Petra. To get there we had to go through Jordan. The border crossing was scarey to say the least. We were removed from the buses and ordered to turn over our passports to the officials. Several hours later they finally returned them to us and let us go on our way. Leaving Israel and entering Jordan took over two hours. Not a good time! It was after 9:00 pm when we finally arrived at the Movenpick Hotel in Wadimosa, Jordan, just outside of Petra. The Movenpick was my favorite hotel. It looked like something out of Greek mythology. Lots of pillars and greenery. A solarium was in the center about the size of a basketball court. You could look down from all floors upon this site. It was filled with live plants, flowers and running water. Had benches to sit on and mediate. Very beautiful! You would come into this area each time you went to the wonderful dining room. The food there was also very delightful. It had a roof top you could walk out on with pillars and urns filled with greenery. On one of the floors it had a beautiful ice cream parlar. I just described the inside of the hotel. But outside of the hotel it was hot, dry and desert. Desolate! Poverty stricken! "Better is a little with righteousenss." Proverbs 16:8a This was the first hotel in all the countries to have wash clothes, including the ship. Wash clothes were a luxury item to me.

The elegance of this hotel gave us pause about how poor the people were and how desolate the countries appeared. Yet out of nowhere we find these beautiful, gracious and overwhelming accommodations. Of course it cost a pretty penny to stay within these walls and to eat their beautifully prepared food. Our experience outside of America told us why some do not like Americans. The poorest of the poor in America live far better than the middle class in these countries. We take it all for granted! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/28/09

No comments: