Tuesday, October 20, 2009

HOLY LAND REVISITED - Leaving Amman, Jordan

On March 22nd we were more than ready to go home! We were all physched up for our long flight! We were anxious to get this part of the show on the road. All of the changes since 9/11 came into play at the Jordan Airport. First of all, we checked in our luggage. Should be simple enough but we had porters lined up waiting to just move our luggage 20 ft for a fee. Jim refused to get caught up in that and of course that didn't play well with any of them. each person took forever getting their passports, tickets and the luggage checked in. Short lines took almost as long as the long lines. The ticket takers were not too swift either. Ours told us we needed to go and pay an additional fee at a different window so we headed over there when we heard Marie yelling at us that we didn't need to pay that because it had already been paid.

We left this area and went up a ramp into another waiting room. This time we were to checked in physically. Men went to men and women went to women. I did appreciate that, or so I thought. By this time I had, had enough. However, this was our only way home. Into the women's search booth I went. Two very mean looking ladies were waiting to attack. I waited patiently as they put their hands on me and left as quickly as I could. Obviously, I didn't have anything they wanted! Praise the Lord! Our final waiting station was next, but by this time I need to visit the restroom.

Getting directions I went by myself and came to this little room that had windows all around it. Inside was a lady laying with her head on a pillow, sound asleep. I went through the open door and into the room with many stalls. no doors and no toilets! Only holes in the floor which were wet from use and not from cleaning. Having this devastating internal urge indicates no turning back. Trying to straddle this hole and trying to keep your clothes off the floor was no easy task. It was at this point, I discovered no toilet paper. No signs of paper anywhere! Oh Lord, I prayed; "Help me, to see the adventure in my situation; Help me to think of what to do! Help me to remember, this too shall pass." I had some tissue in my pocket and once again, God saved the day!

As I composed myself enough to leave this area I again looked at the sleeping attendant and realized that her head was not on a pillow but a large package of 12 rolls of toilet paper. I wanted to scream; "What imbeciles you have in this country;" but was afraid they would beat her up. At this time we were led into yet another waiting room which they called the boarding room.

In this room were 5 Jordanians waiting to board the same plane. After 9/11 lots of thoughts were going thru our minds. But again, this was the only way out of Jordan and so leaving all in God's hands we left Jordan and arrived in Amsterdam where we were to board our last flight to the States arriving in San francisco; then to Portland and then a small airplane to Klamath Falls. All went well until we were to board our final plane. A small plane to home!

"Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord. For we walk by faith, not by sight. We are of good courage I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body is to be at home with the Lord." 2 Corinthians 5:6-8 Courage is what we had to muster up in order to accomplish the final legs of our journey. Courage to remain pleasing to Him who sits on the throne. "For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; and He died for all, that they who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf." 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 "We have enjoyed our journey with you, Lord! As we complete our travels, we entrust our souls in your keeping with faith and courage." By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/29/09

No comments: