Monday, December 22, 2008

BIRTHDAY OF A KING! 12/22/08

CHRISTMAS WEEK for Morning Glory has been ready for several weeks. As usual I would look at the daily discussions and tweak here and there until I am ready to post it. Yesterday morning Jim and I decided to attend the choral Christmas program at my son and daughter-in-laws church. They are the music and worship leaders there! It was filled with narration and music telling the story of Mary, Joseph and the birth of Jesus. It was up close and personal! After the service I discovered that my son Dan, had written the narration which gave his view point of the story of the announcement to Mary, her visit with Elizabeth and the birth of Christ in Bethlehem. The narration is in four parts. Please enjoy Dan's narrative, these next four days, which gives a fresh new look at an old beloved story.

It was a cool, clear evening, you know the kind; where a slight breeze is disturbing the leaves of the trees and brushing across the grass in the fields and the reflective glow from the moon is slowly capturing the rocks and dirt, creating an eerie and yet, a very peaceful landscape. She had just completed her final task for the day, checked in with her mother and was quietly escaping to the large tree, that stood guard out behind her family home. As she climbed up and sat upon the top of her rock; The spot that had comforted her many a time during her young life; The events of the day began trickling through her mind. The moment that stood out among the rest was her unexpected encounter with him. She was running through the morning crowds in order to get to the market early. Her mother had instructed her to purchase a few items for their meal that night. As she was preparing to make her final turn into the market place, she ran straight into him. The impact was so hard that she fell backwards into the dirt. Extending his right hand to help her to her feet, and with a gentle, reassuring voice, he said; "Mary, what are you doing here?" "I, uh, my mother, I'm sorry"; Mary sputtered as she was straightening her skirt and brushing the dirt from her hem; "My mother has sent me to the market". "As usual, I was in a hurry, I'm so sorry, I did not see you." Joseph accompanied her into the market area and then bade farewell for he had a couple of deliveries to make. This brief encounter with her intended made her heart leap. A smile of remembrance washed across her face. She paused to gather her thoughts, leaned back against the trunk of her tree and closed her eyes.

Suddenly, with her eyes closed, Mary realized that the breeze had ended abruptly. It was surprisingly quiet; silent! The leaves were still, the grasses no longer bent to the winds. She slowly opened her eyes! "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you!"

He was standing about ten feet, directly in front of her. He was tall and powerful! His face was gentle and his eyes were startling, intelligent, unwavering! With controlled fear, she sat up as the man began to speak; "Do not be afraid, Mary! You have found favor with God! You will be with child and give birth to a son and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever: His kingdom will never end".

"But how?" Exclaimed Mary as she scrambled backwards across the rock towards the tree trunk. Her mind was racing! She thought to herself; "I just saw Joseph this morning; What would he say? My mother, Oh no, my mother; What would this do to my family? My father will be so angry". To the man, Mary said; "I don't understand! How could this happen; I haven't been with anyone! A son! God's son! Jesus?" The visitor, understandingly took a small step, raising his hand in a gesture to reassure her and with a calming voice explained. "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month. For nothing is impossible with God."

With her hands trembling and tears welling in her eyes, Mary slid down the face of the rock and stood before him. "I am the Lord's servant! May it be to me as you have said!" As she took a calming breath, Mary closed her eyes to steady herself and realized that she felt the breeze and heard the rustling of the leaves once more. She knew he was gone even before she opened her eyes. Mary fell to the ground onto her knees, her face in her hands, shaking, not knowing what she should do next. She knelt in that spot for what seemed like an eternity, and then she knew. "Elizabeth!" She must go and see Elizabeth!

She pushed herself up and quietly walked back to the house to find her mother. Mary's mother questioned her decision to visit Elizabeth, however, in the end she consented. Mary began to pack for her journey, meanwhile returning to the words over and over in her head; "You will be with child and will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name, Jesus! God's son! Jesus"! By: Dan Crenshaw 12/08

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Oh my goodness! I was right there with Mary. How wonderful Dan! I loved it. I guess the writing skill runs in the family. I will anxiously await each day this week.