Tuesday, December 16, 2008

YOUR FIRST SCHOOL CHRISTMAS PROGRAM!
Please read the comment
, Ellen made on yesterdays blog, regarding her take on the importance of the date. She asked the question of what kind of weather would have been during the birth of Jesus. I have heard that the weather during that time of the year would be pretty much the same as it is in San Diego, California. When looking at the line of latitude on the world globe it would be the same as in Israel. Interesting hu?

I have a weekly day calendar that sits on my desk. I keep track of everything so I can
remember what I need to do and where I need to be during the week. I also keep track for Jim and my daughter Jennifer. Jennifer has a good memory but Jim and I are at that questionable age called ‘the golden years’. Even if we do remember, sometimes we don’t remember the same. You know what I mean; Jim seems to remember differently than I do and of course I must be right. Even though we are retired and every day is Saturday, except for Sundays, it is important for us to keep track of dates.

I remember bits and pieces of my first school Christmas program. It was in the basement of the primary school on 2nd Avenue in Council Bluffs, Iowa. I probably was in Kindergarten! All the children were seated on the floor in a semi-circle facing the stage. We had to sit with our legs crossed and I remember getting very squirmy because my legs got tired. My teacher was very beautiful and I think her name was Miss Spider. There was a very large tree that held only ornaments made by all the school children. I remember singing carols! What is your first memory of a school Christmas program?

The last Christmas program we attended at Towers School in California where my two children attended prior to our moving to Oregon, was a Hanukkah program where they sang; "I have a little dreidel". We were so disappointed! In 1970, our first school Christmas program in Eagle Point, Oregon was absolutely wonderful. It told the Christmas story and sang the Christmas carols. We were so happy!

It is frustrating for the Christian when we hear of schools, communities and those in high positions of government demanding that anything to do with the Christian faith be kept out of public facilities, especially during the Christmas season. We understand the Atheist and those who belong to the ACLU because they totally refuse to accept God. But the world itself, is also guilty of celebrating Christmas with the exclusion of Christ.

I personally, find it has become easier and easier for me not to shop where the word Christmas is obviously absent. I understand, in the early Greek, X was the first letter of Christ. Similarly, the Roman letter X has been used as an abbreviation of Christ; hence; XMAS! I believe it is a short cut and replaces Christ with the unknown, as in algebra and so I don’t shop where this is used and don’t buy cards that leave Christmas out of the message. I also think ‘happy holiday’ is just another avenue the world takes to avoid the fact that the word Christmas stands for Christ. In February we don’t say ‘happy holiday’ for Valentines! It has also become easier to not participate in activities during the Christmas Season that does not celebrate Christ.
How do you include Christ in your celebration? Do you reflect Christ, in spite of the world? Even though it seems the Christian is alone in the celebration of Christ, Luke 1:14 says; "And you will have joy and gladness and many will rejoice at His birth". May Christmas bring to you, joy upon joy upon joy! Jane Ann

No comments: