Thursday, December 18, 2008

THE WHITE ENVELOPE!
The importance of the date at Christmas
time is the tradition of giving and receiving of gifts. The bigger the demand of the item and the more it cost seems to be the most desirable gift to give and/or to want. I read a story recently about ‘The White Envelope’. The white envelope represented ‘the gift’ which was given to a need within the community and not to a family member. It was to be considered a ‘gift in deed’! Every year the white envelope would appear on the tree and as the years passed, the family members would become anxious to open the envelope to see who received this gift and what it was for. It all began because the Father was disenchanted with the useless spending when there was so much need elsewhere. The Mother decided to give where there was a need and give that gift every year to the Father, in the white envelope on the tree. Needless to say, he was pleased with his gift year after year!

Betty, a dear friend and who follows Morning Glory shares with us a tradition while living in Germany. "Prior to THE day, all houses smelled like fresh baked cookies. These were NOT put on a plate. No, these were hung on the Christmas tree. When someone came to visit, they were supposed to take a cookie from the tree. Of course, the tree most admired was the tree that only had a couple cookies left. That meant that house had been honored by many guests and well wishers. I kind of liked that idea! How about you"? Betty shares another time of remembering; "When my kids were very young [5 and under] we were still in Germany. I had been telling the kids about Jesus’ birth, and they asked if we were having a birthday party for Jesus. It seemed like a good idea, so we invited all the kids on the street to Jesus’ birthday party. It was a nice party! When the party was over almost all the ornaments were broken. Germany has really beautiful ornaments! I was sorry to lose so many of them".

I received an e-mail from my brother-in-law, Clarence and he says; "Hi, we have a Christmas eve party every year at Sue’s house and we all enjoy the oyster stew...Ha! Ha!...To bad you can’t taste it!" Carrie, his daughter also expressed her remembrance on the Morning Glory blog, of oyster stew, but didn’t rub it in my face. Well, I may be unable to taste it but I sure am glad that an old family traditional is being carried on. Traditions are traditions as long as we keep them!

I was raised with Santa and gifts under the tree! But I also was raised knowing that Christ was born! I remember, in my teens, I wanted a manger with the works, instead of a tree. I wanted to place our gifts to each other around the manger. It never happened! Jim and I raised our children with Santa and gifts under the tree, but mainly it was Christ’s birthday. We sang in the choir, participated in the Christmas pageants and went caroling to nursing homes and the Domiciliary to sing for the Veterans in our community. We brought ‘gifts for Jesus’ that were opened by the children after the Christmas program. I believe we have enjoyed Christmas from both worlds.

Today I was reminded of an old song my sister Joyce use to sing. "Put Christ back into Christmas"! I heard George Beverly Shay sing it today! I hadn’t heard that song since the 50's or 60's. Another song I have been reminded of says; "Come on Ring Those Bells", Light the Christmas Tree, Jesus is the King, Born for you and me. Come on Ring Those Bells, everybody say; Jesus, we remember this your birthday!" The Christian does not have to give into the ways of the world. Surprised? I know you’re not! As Christians we have taken on some of the traditions that the world says is Christmas but we still know that Christmas is all about Christ. We still know where our priorities lie! "And she will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for it is He who will save His people from their sins". Matthew 1:21 Jane Ann

No comments: