Thursday, December 4, 2008

GOD'S AMUSEMENT! 12/4/08

Often I pray that God will use Morning Glory to encourage and lift up my family and friends. It has been slow going but the ones that I know are walking down memory lane with me is also encouraging and lifting me up. Memories are a part of who we are, good or bad! It is a gift from God! When we are able to laugh and cry together, it shows that we care for one another.
Have you ever wondered about God’s sense of humor? Perhaps you have always felt God to be so above the frailties of life that He surely is unapproachable. I believe there are many things we do not know about our God but I do believe He spends a lot of time being amused at our antics. Think about the time when man was preparing and finally walked on the moon! How about the struggles we go through to succeed! We can be just as funny as the animal world!
When God asked Adam to name all the newly created creatures, I am sure He sat back and enjoyed the process. Would you have done differently than Adam? I think the skunk is apply named! However, how did Adam come to name it skunk? Perhaps in the beginning the word skunk wasn’t associated with the odor that the skunk is associated with today. Even so, you have to admit that it had to be pretty funny watching Adam going about naming all the animals, the fish in the seas and the birds in the air.
If you had been there when Jesus fed the 5000 wouldn’t you have been amused, when he did it again with the 4000? Wouldn’t you have been one of the Apostles with a basket in hand running back to Jesus with it empty and saying; "Do it again, Master; Do it again"! How about when Nathanael met Jesus for the first time and Jesus told him that he had seen him sitting under the tree! I bet Nathanael was taken off guard with; "How can you know that"? Can you imagine a little bit of laughter in his voice? I would have been amazed with; "WOW"!
Haven’t you found some of the stories in God’s word amusing? For instance Noah and the Ark; Abraham and Sarah; Balaam and the donkey; Rahab the Harlot; David and Goliath and on it goes. God taking the unimaginable and bringing His work to fruition with such unlikely characters. A boy, a shady woman, a large boat on dry land, an elderly couple giving birth and especially a talking donkey. I am not talking about the content or the message these stories bring but how God uses unlikely people and their lives to teach us His word.
Today I wanted to look at the aspect of God’s amusement in creation. His watching over us and how serious we always seem to be when we think about God. I know that my coming face to face with God, brings me to my knees, saying; "Abba Father"! Yet, when I look around me I am amused at God’s sense of humor and know that He is approachable.
With God all things are possible! Because Jesus could heal the sick, caused the lame to walk, the blind to see and even raise the dead back into a living, breathing being, I find my self being amused at my own importance. Who am I? Why are we so involved with our own self-importance that we can’t see the beauty of our existence is only by the grace of God.
1 Peter 3:10 says; "For whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil". Psalm 37:13 says that last line a little differently; "But the Lord laughs at the wicked, for He knows their day is coming"!
Jane Ann

No comments: