Wednesday, December 31, 2008

TRADITIONS! Tradition!
Many families have certain traditions that have been handed down for generations. For
Jim and my first Christmas together, I found a small stable. The figures of Mary, Joseph, the shepherds and the baby Jesus were glued to the floor of the rustic small shell of a stable. I loved it! It became our tradition to set it under our tree all through the years until we retired and moved closer to my Son and his family. I knew for sometime that this tradition was not the tradition of the rest of my family. I didn’t care! I would put it out anyway, because we always had!

The first couple of years in our new home, I couldn’t find the stable! Into the second or third year, I found it! However, Jim had already replaced my stable with a much larger one that we could use with our nativity figures we had painted . It was very nice but it was a tradition to use the small stable! Sometimes, mothers are not to have feelings! We are always suppose to make others happy! Regardless of how I felt, I had to admit that the larger stable with the nativity figures was far more impressive. And now, it is our new tradition! But I still have the old stable!

Another of our traditions began when Jennifer was about 9 years old!. I helped her to bake a ‘birthday cake for Jesus’! On Christmas day as each family would come to visit and see what the kids got under the tree, Jennifer would light the candles. We would all sing Happy Birthday Jesus, blow out the candles and eat some cake. Today, Jennifer bakes a ‘birthday cake for Jesus’ and when we host our Christmas Eve party we begin with the reading of the story of the birth of Jesus. We then sing Happy Birthday and blow out the candles of the cake! Some traditions can run the test of time where others can easily be done away with.

Another tradition that I grew up with and our small family carries on, is opening our gifts Christmas morning. Jim’s family opened gifts Christmas Eve! I suppose it doesn’t matter when the gifts are opened but there is something about getting up in the early hours and seeing all those large and small packages of multi colored paper and ribbons, that catches your breath.

I pray that your Christmas celebration was full of joy and wonder! Man kind needs the warmth and loving kindness of Christmas at home with family. Always remember those who will not be at home to feel the warmth and loving kindness. Today, I am thinking about those who are serving our country here at home and abroad. Let us remember those who are alone, because, in Christ we are never alone; even during the Christmas season! Jane Ann

No comments: