Thursday, May 7, 2009

MORE ABOUT MOM!
My Mom
was a busy Mother.....she was a working Mom which meant in today’s terms we were latchkey kids....She was not demonstrative....we did not receive hugs and kisses.....she did not have time for that.....She was a provider.....she saw to it that we were fed and clothed and had a roof over our heads. She was a disciplinarian! What she said was law and if we disobeyed the law we were punished. She never showed favorites although it seemed like the boys never had to do as much as the girls did. She provided strength for the day and rest for the night and she saw to it that we were in Sunday School and Church even if she did not go herself because her job was never done. She saw to it we had birthdays and celebrated Christmas with the Savior and with Santa Claus. We had new shoes and a new outfit for the first days of school, as well as Easter. Or at least, new to us.

My mother had a sense of humor. In my late teens I mailed her a Mothers day card. I also mailed my best friends, mother, a card. Her card said "you’ve been like a mother to me". One of my sisters later asked why I sent Mom a card that said "you’ve been like a mother to me". I was embarrassed to think I had gotten the cards mixed up. Well, that was one of those times I was never to live down. Every Mother’s Day it was the subject of the day and I would be caught up in my mistake again. Years later (1966 to be exact) after I had my two children, Mom sent me a card for Mother’s Day. At the bottom she writes; "very pleased, I’m your mother"! Not a Mother’s Day passes that I am not reminded of those cards.

All of us have fond memories of the mother of our youth. My Mother had beautiful flowered tea cups with saucers. The younger girls were never allowed to touch them. Not until I was in my 60's did I find out that my two older sisters, Jean and Jewel had tea parties with their little friends and used those tea cups and saucers. Of course that is because the Mother of their youth was younger and had more time. By the time the rest of us came along her days became long and her attention was greatly divided among many. Today the sisters have a tea cup and saucer in each of their cupboards. A cherished piece of our Mom that has spanned the ages!

I am sure that all of us have read Proverbs 31:10-31. The passages that gives praise to a virtuous woman. If you haven’t read this, I suggest this afternoon you take the time to read it.....I have heard that this passage might be called "22 points about the excellent wife" or "the perfect wife from A to Z." I refer to it as; "A Wife, Mother and Homemaker first class".
Tomorrow we will break this passage down and bring it closer to home. Jane Ann

No comments: