Tuesday, November 17, 2009

CELEBRATIONS! Birthdays

Birthday celebrations were never anything more than cake in my family. I remember having cake on Sundays but the only other times, was when there was a birthday. In my teen years my mother made arrangements with the Helms Bakery truck to stop by on Saturday nights and she would buy whatever was left from the week. She had a big chest freezer in the garage and she would fill it up with bread, cakes, pies, donuts and whatever pastries that he carried or that she wanted. Now we could have these goodies whenever the spirit moved us.

Nothing tastes as good as frozen bread, defrosting in a hot oven and spread with butter. Oh my, was that ever good! Just like fresh made rolls, baked and served right from the oven. Have you ever eaten frozen cakes? It is like eating ice cream. Not smooth and creamy at first, but cold and flavorful and as it melts in your mouth, like cream. So good!

Now that we had these available, we enjoyed having desserts more often. I remember Lloyd saying it was somebody's birthday. I believe it was some politcal figure that we didn't know. My Mother perked up and said; "I don't think we have any cake left but we do have some ice cream."

When I was sixteen, Mom said it was okay for me to have a party. Of course, it meant I was to take care of it. My two sisters, Jean and Joetta shared an apartment outside of Inglewood, in Los Angeles. They said I could have my party there and invite some friends for a sleep over. In those days it was called a pajama party! Lonnie made his famous chili. Not sure how it got to the party but the girls were thrilled. I know we had cake, so I must have baked it. The special thing about the whole evening was, we all found our own way to the apartment and it was exciting, grown up and glamourous to spend the night there. Jean and Joetta were so cool!

My great niece gave birth to twins about a month ago. Two little girls with their own identities and personalities. Your right, they are not identical! What a celebration around the world, or at least their little world. Jessica, a little girl herself, loved being pregnant but she loves even more having these babies. I remember when my babies came along. I remember their birthday parties. I remember them growing up and becoming independent. most of my life is remembering them. Who would want to forget? Not me! Everyday, we celebrate them!

Some brithdays are more memorable than others but all birthdays mark another year; another milestone; another candle on the birthday cake. I think I have reached that point where you set the cake on fire. How about you? Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you started out old and each year you would get younger? Not sure I would like that but health wise it might be a good thing. Now days as you get older you are facing many obstacles that only come with old age. Most times, we want to forget the birthdays altogether.

Putting another candle on the birthday cake is saying; "I'm still here! I am still kicking! I have room to grow!" Did you know, that one of the most interesting things about a birth is our birthright? This means we are entitled by birth to a few natural privileges. "A good name is better than a good ointment and the day of one's death is better than the day of one's birth." Ecclesiastes 7:1 Solomon had a way with words. We are born to live and to die!

"Now this he did not say on his own initiative; but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus was going to die for the nation." John 11:51 Our amazing God used Caiaphas to tell us in His word, that the Christ was born to die. He was to die for all! We too are born to die. But in the mean time we celebrate our birthdays because we are alive. We have but one life to live so let us live it with gladness of heart and purpose of mind. Let us live a life to be celebrated not only on our birthdays, but after we are gone. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/13/09

No comments: