Wednesday, November 25, 2009

THANKSGIVING! Getting old!

I was talking with my sister Jean a couple of days ago. She was commenting on the youngest in our family, Jeri, celebrating her 64th birthday a few days before. When did the youngest in our very large family get so old? Now that she is this old, we can't believe how old we have become! Jean's favorite line is; "You are as old as you feel!" Another one is; I don't mind getting older, but I never say I am old!"

Jean is the Matriarch of our family! She was sharing with me that she didn't want to move from Iowa in 1947. She didn't want to leave all her friends and the place where she had lived all her life. However, Mom needed help on the train with the baby, Jeri. The younger ones always saw Jean as their second Mother.

Looking back on the various Thanksgivings in our family it was a day to look forward to. It was a day filled with chaos and with baking and roasting smells permeating the air. Many women bumping into each other within the walls of small kitchens and locating as many tables as could be found, along with chairs to seat everyone.

Jim and I hosted several Thanksgiving Dinner's at our home while living in California. A long L shaped table draped with many table clothes to make it look like one L shaped table, when in fact it was 5. The number of guests would vary year to year but room seemed to be available. In Iowa we always had goose but one time in California I remember, a Turkey; a Goose and a Duck! We were moving on up! Life was good! Family then and now is precious! We thank God for our very large family!

The Churches in our lives always saw to it, that our family of many, had whatever we would need as far as can goods, baking supplies and turkey, to help set our Thanksgiving Table. Many times this was needed and many times we were okay but the church still wanted to help. The Church has always been there for our large family! God places you in the church you need wherever you are, just when you need it. We thank God for the Church!

I have lived in a blessed Nation all my life! I know that today, you may raise your eyebrows and frown. You ask; "What do you mean, a blessed nation?" God is still the God of my life; God is the God of my heart! My government, nor the laws of my community, are not where my blessings come from. However, God works in mysterious ways! "All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28 I pray that I am among those He calls faithful! We thank God for being in our lives and in doing so, we live in a blessed Nation!

I have loved the family of my youth and I love the family that God has blessed Jim and me with. "We praise God from whom all blessings flow!" With Jim, I have been able to strive to become the woman God has created me to be. With me, Jim has been able to strive to become the man God has created him to be. Because of our union, our children Dan and Jennifer along with Dan's wife, Faye and their three sons have been able to strive to be the person's God has created them to be. We thank God for our little Christian family!

"Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you; therefore He exalts Himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for Him." Isaiah 30:18 As we wait for Him, He is patiently waiting for us. How do we wait? By trusting in Him; by reading His word; by being obedient to Him and His word. Can you do it? "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13 "Thank you Lord for saving my soul; Thank you Lord for making me whole; Thank you Lord for giving to me, Thy great salvation so rich and free!" By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/23/09

No comments: