Thursday, November 12, 2009

WHO IS YOUR NEIGHBOR? - Oh, to be a Spy!

While working for TRW in Redondo Beach, California, Jim was offered a chance of a life time, when you are an up and coming Engineering Technician in the 'Space Program." A secret project was underway out in the hills of Australia using a military spy satellite, to spy on the Russians. If you have ever read the book called "The Falcon and the snowman" you will already know about how secretive, timely and how serious this project was. Even though they wanted single men to volunteer, Jim volunteered and was accepted. He was to go to Australia where no one could get in touch with him but the kids and I could go and live in Alice Springs where he could join us on most weekends.

Jim was excited because of the adventure it offered and I was apprehensive as to whether I could handle living in a country where I knew no one and no one knew me. The months flew by as Jim's preparations began, even though it seemed to be slow moving as far as the kids and I were concerned. No arrangements had been made for us and no arrangements were clear enough for me to plan. Of course nothing would be final for me until Jim was on his way and settled. My brother Lynn moved in with us because he was going to take care of our home during the two years we were to be gone.

About a month before Jim was to depart, he was denied the position and his plans were terminated. A single man came forward and volunteered. A man with no ties; a man free from any encumbrances. This was best for the project and Jim was no longer considered. I believe God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform because the following month, my brother Layton died. I needed to be with my family, Jim needed to be with me and Lynn needed us.

I can't remember a time in my life that something, wasn't going on in the world that caused suspicious activities that needed to be watched. I can't remember a time, that even while on the home front, precautions were taken to protect the citizens from harm. I can't remember a time, when the military wasn't active and foremost in the minds of young men.

Remember the huge spot lights before and after WWII searching the skies for unidentified planes? I do! We would sit on the curb and when we would hear the sirens, the blackout would begin. The lights in the homes would either be turned off or shaded by dark, dark, green shades. We would sit in the dark and watch many search lights all over the sky and thought, how beautiful. I remember the boys receiving a notice in their senior year in highschool requiring them to sign up for the draft. They are still required to register but not necessarily for the draft.

Remember the air raid drills that were held in the classrooms. When the siren sounded we would either get under our desks or march out into the halls and sit on the floor up against the walls. These were practice long after WWII so we would know what to do if the Germans, or Japanese came to bomb us again. Remember the bomb shelters that people were digging in their back yards or under their homes to store food and a place of safety if there was an atomic bomb? Today we face the possiblity of Nuclear or Biological warfare. We are frantic trying to find ways to protect our country. We face the terrorists and are afraid!

"In God, whose word I praise; in God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?" Psalm 56:4 Those of us who know the Lord, know that our safety lies in him and not in those we live with. In Matt 14:27b, when Jesus said; "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid;" He was saying cast all your cares on Him; He is saying put your trust in Him and not in man." Psalm 118:8 Young men and women want to be brave. They want to be positive and to become all they can be. Pray for our soldiers! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/15/09

No comments: