Wednesday, November 11, 2009

WHO IS YOUR NEIGHBOR? - Neighbor's

Vicki and her family rented the house located between us and their landlord, Bob and Nelda. I don't remember how long we were neighbors but I do remember Mourey and Rosalie. Rosalie was a little deaf and Mourey was a big boy. A year or two later we met Marshall, Vicki's nephew, who came to live with them. Honestly, I don't know if they were in the country legally or illegally; I just know that they were our neighbors and Momma liked Vicki. Us kids learned a little Spanish like; agua, si and that is all I can remember. Mom learned how to cook a few Mexican dishes. But mostly, Vicki was Momma's friend. Mourey followed my youngest brother Larry around everywhere. Marshall was a little bit more on the wild side but Larry kept him in check. Rosalie was shy and sweet and Joyce's friend. I Often wondered about those kids and their life as they grew up.

Vicki worked at one of the farms as a bean picker. Lynn and I wanted to make some money so we went with Vicki to the big farm on Redondo Beach Blvd. Picking beans was not easy and you had to pick a lot of beans to make any kind of money. You were paid by the bushel and to us, that was a lot of beans. We picked and picked until lunch time. We didn't have anything for lunch. Vicki had homemade refried beans inside a homemade tortilla. We sat on the stoop with her and watched her as she ate her tiny burrito. I guess she got tired of us watching and drooling so she offered us one. I remember thinking how good that tasted.

Then we went back to picking the beans. I had just finished one bushel and had taken it to the old lady to have it weighed and the amount noted on my card. Then I walked down to the next row and saw Lynn way down at the other end. Just then a Mexican man came up and put his arm around my waist, he smelt of fly paper. Lynn saw it and dropped his basket and walked calmly up to where I was with this man holding onto me. I didn't know what to do! Lynn took my hand and we left. Our bean picking days were over. I wonder if Lynn remembers this!

I mention this family because of the world we have come to live in today. The first thing that pops into our heads, when we meet a Mexican or someone of Spanish descent is; are they aliens; are they here legally. We wonder if they really are illegal and working here, receiving US dollars to send home to their families. We wonder if they are terrorists. But mostly; we wonder if our tax dollars are being taken out of our pockets and diverted to them.

Most foreigners come to our contry willing to work for whatever amount of money they can. Most are willing to do any menial type job. Today we are afraid of the foreigners because they take jobs away from Americans. Of course if the American wanted the job why haven't they applied for it before the foreigner arrived and took it. Makes you wonder, doesn't it!

"For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." 2 Thessalonians 3:10 Here in America we don't want anyone to go hungry so our Government gives them money/food stamps and much fraud is perpetrated. Women with children are registered and receive help, but their husbands or live in boy friends reap the benefits. "For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies." 2 Thessalonians 3:11 This is talking about the brethren, but all do it.

Times are different today than they were in the 50's. Times have changed since 9/11 and the invader cast a disastrous spell upon us. Times call for us to beware of our neighbors and our friends. "But ye brethren, be not weary in well doing. And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother. I Thessalonias 3;13-15 Momma loved Vicki and that was enough for us. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 10/14/09

No comments: