Wednesday, December 2, 2009

SAINTS OF CHRISTIAN HALLS! Betty

Betty and I knew each other for many years while attending White City Christian Church but we became Email buddies for over seven years after we moved away. I thoroughly enjoyed her matter of fact ways and was pleased when she became a follower of Morning Glory and would read my blog. Betty was always willing to share some of her stories with me and as always I would be amazed at what these friends of mine did when they were young and full of vitality; when they were young parents and the life they lived was full of activity and promise. We forget that old people were not always old, you know!

11/28/08 Jane Ann, I thank you for the birthday card and the handkercief. It was lovely and brought back fond memories of years past. It was a tradition in our family as well to pass pretty handkerchiefs to family and friends that were special. My dad's sister even sent him some for his birthday. When Mom died, I grabbed her big collection of hankies. No one else wanted to be bothered with them, but to me they were wonderful memories of days gone by. Through the many years, the collection is finally gone, but it was such a sweet memory for me to look through them and pick one to give to someone else. It made me feel like my mother was joining me in giving them away. Betty

12/3/08 Hello again. I just remembered something from my past. I used to teach Good News Club at my home in California. I had most of the neighborhood kids coming. Some were church going kids, some never got to church or Sunday School. We would always have a memory verse, of course; and I would write the Bible verse number on my front window where anyone on the street could read it. I was amazed at how many of the kids told me that their parents were so curious they would go home and look it up in their Bible. Hey, whatever works to get them to read the Bible, right? Thought you would get amused with that story. Betty

12/17/08 I was reading the Morning Glory Devotionals and in one you asked about traditions that have gone by the wayside. Well when we lived in Germany, one of their traditions was to go visiting. Prior to the day, all houses smelled like fresh baked cookies. These were not put on a plate. No, these were hung on the Christmas tree. Of course, When someone came to visit, they were supposed to each take a cookie from the tree. Of course, the tree most admired was the tree that only had a couple cookies left. That meant, that house had been honored by many guests and well wishers. I kind of liked that idea. How about you?

Another time, I remember when my kids were very young (5 and under) we were still in Germany. I had been telling the kids about Jesus birth and they asked if we were having a birthday party for Jesus. It seemed like a good idea to me, so we invited all the kids on the street to Jesus birthday party. We did request a parent come with the kids, since they were all so young. It was a nice party, but I am afraid the parents did not control their kids, because our tree had almost all the ornaments broken when the party was over. Germany has really beautiful ornaments and I was sorry to lose most of them. Betty

My friend, Betty, was full of wisdom, gentleness and womanly grace. You could tell that she had had hip replacements but that didn't keep her from volunteering at the local Elementary School as a teachers aide for almost 20 years or so. It is always hard when our bodies begin to fail us; it is always hard to look on the bright side of life when we are filled with aches and pains. It is always difficult when you have dialysis three times a week and know, that is what is keeping you alive. This was Betty's lot in life these past years. She didn't complain except to worry about her daughter, Peggy, who she had to call upon for transportation and help. Financially, Betty was good, but physically she was worse for wear. Together we praised God for His goodness and His spiritual guidance. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/29/09

No comments: