Tuesday, December 1, 2009

SAINTS OF CHRISTIAN HALLS! Mabel

Mabel and I worked at my brother Lee's Dry Cleaners and continued to have lunch once a week until we moved to Klamath Falls. Neither of us were letter writers so our correspondence was far and few between until Mabel had a stroke. Then I would write to her once a month, even though she couldn't write to me. The following is excerpts of my last letter to Mabel and two short notes I received from her daughter Butch.

July 7, 2009 Dear Mabel and Ken: Here I am again with my short notes. About a year ago, we had a new Wendy's built right across the street where the old one was. We still haven't been to the new one but each time we stop at a Wendy's I think about our weekly visits over lunch there. We had some good times didn't we?

How is your family doing? I think about Butch often as well as you and Ken. I can't remember your grandchildren's names anymore but I remember you had a lot of them. I suspect they are all grown. I get confused when it comes to your daughters names but I remember you had four of them and of course your son. All of them love you dearly! Our summer has finally arrived. Even though it gets pretty warm I think I like it better than the cold winter. Jim turns the AC up and then I freeze even when it is 85 outside. So, I sit around with my blanket on, even in the summer. We have had some pretty good thunder storms and bright flashes of lightning but all in all our summer is what I expected, even with the intermittent showers.

Jim is out working in the flowerbeds today, watering the front yard and just puttering around. He was going to refinish his shower with a kit but I called a place this morning to see how much it would be to have it done. They sand, clean the shower and then they put a finishing glaze on it that is suppose to last at least 15 years. Makes it look like new. For a nominal price, Jim wouldn't have to do it and so I think we will go that route and have it done.

Well, I hope my note finds you two doing good. Miss you a lot and think about the good ole days often. Continue to watch out for each other....loving each other is what makes our lives good, isn't it? God bless you both; Jim and Jane Ann

July 10, 2009 Dear Jane Ann & Jim: A short note to let you know Mom has been in the hospital 8 days; coming home today. Were having a nurse come and hospice. I hate to tell you this but Mom only has about a week to live, give or take. I appreciate all your letters and coming to see her. And most of all Thank You for being her friend. She thought a lot of you both. Again, Thank you; Sincerely Butch!

We went to visit with Mabel July 13th. She was in a hospital bed in the middle of her living room. She didn't seem to notice we were there but when we were leaving, Ken her husband, said to her; "Jim and Jane Ann are here!" She responded with; "I know!" Bless her heart and Ken's. He has been a good husband in taking such good care of her.

August 5, 2009 Dear Jane Ann and Jim: Thank you for the pretty card. We all miss her so much. It's to bad you weren't there on July 16th; As the Lord gave Mom a special gift. Her eyes opened for 2 hours and she talked loud and clear to everyone. Just like she did over a year ago, before her stroke. He also blessed us by giving her that time to say her goodbyes. She will always be with us. Thanks again! You people were special friends of hers. Love to you both! PS: Kenny wants me to thank you and Jim also...Thank You!

"Rejoice always; pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 It is important for us to pray for one another at all times. It is important that we take time for others. Mabel would have been 86 on September 18, 2009! Her celebration is complete, for she is at home. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/28/09

No comments: