Tuesday, December 8, 2009

SAINTS OF CHRISTIAN HALLS! Jessie

Jessie was a mother with 3 sons and 1 daughter. I was older than her oldest son and she worked at the garment factory that my mother did. I would see Jessie on visits to our old church and would ask about her from time to time. I would think about her on her birthday and finally got a card off to her last year with a short letter.

8/18/08 Every August 16th I am reminded of you! At my brother Lonnie's memorial service in 1992, you came up to me and said; "Now I know why your Mom always remembered my birthday. It was because it was also Lonnie's birthday." Ever since then, I think of Lonnie and you on your birthdays. I was talking with Iona Kay and mentioned this to her and so she gave me your address. I hope you remember me as well as I remember you. You were a good friend to my mother and she loved you. You were always good to us little kids at Lawndale. You watched us grow up just as we watched your family grow up. As I have gotten older, I realize memories are short. On occasion something will be said, or I will see something and I am in a world of remembering. That is how it is on August 16th! My note today is to say; "Thank you for being a part of my youth! Thank you for loving my Mom! Thank you for your bright smile and your family." Not because of who they were long ago but because of who you all have become in Christ today. Our Father in heaven is looking down with pleasure. "Happy Birthday Jessie!"

8/16/09 Today is another birthday for you! I had planned all month to get your card off but as Jim says; "Every day is Saturday except for Sunday" and of course I never get anything done on Saturdays. However, when I spoke with my sister Jean this afternoon I asked her about you, as I always do and I remembered again, your birthday. I hope these days are finding you well. Because I am now, one of the older folks and I have become familiar with daily aches and pains not to mention all kinds of health issues that seems to accompany being in this age group. It is true that becoming elderly is not for wimps. It is for those who are facing life courageously, with hope and love in their hearts. You are one of those Jessie! You ask me how I how? Well, I remember you when I was a girl. I remember you as a co-worker with my mother and how she would talk so highly of you. I remember your children and how much we have admired you through them. I remember your letter to me last year which gave such praise to my mother and told me I wasn''t wrong about your loving kindness towards other. Remember the little birthday greeting we use to say to each other at church when we had a birthday? "May God bless you on this special day and every day throughout the year; May you in His presence stay and the Lord be always near!" We said this every Sunday, all the years I attended Lawndale and so it is right there in my memory bank, right along side you and your family. My prayer for you is; "Oh Lord, keep my friend Jessie close by your side as you walk together. Give her joy in her heart, knowing how she has graced many lives with her loving kindness just as you have graced hers. Give me Lord, the same tenderness and soft spoken words as our Jessie has always given us." In Jesus Name; Amen! Jessie is now 89 years old!

Jessie's letter to me is one of the most cherished letters because she only had wonderful things to say about my Mom and my family. She wrote about her memories of her friendship with my Mom and how my mother would give her motherly advice from time to time. She was so complimentary towards me and in her sweet and precious way reminded me of the wonderful fellowship we all shared while at Lawndale. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 12/2/09


No comments: