Thursday, December 3, 2009

SAINTS OF CHRISTIAN HALLS! Betty (continued)

Betty shared with me daily, her physical decline. She would let me know when she was to see a Doctor and on occasion we would go to Medford and see her when she was in the hospital. She knew that her time was getting shorter and shorter. But Jennifer baked her goodies and we took one to Betty and also to Mabel on the same trip at Christmas time. Although Betty's illness was taking its toll on her, her skin was soft and supple; her color was beautiful and her white hair was gorgeous. However, even if on the outside she was lovely to look at, her insides were rotting away. She was more than ready to meet her Savior and was anxious for the day.

1/28/09 am Betty: I was afraid that this is what was happening. You have been such a dear friend and such an encouragement to me. Sometimes I wonder why we wait so long to open ourselves to each other. We wait until it is time to say goodbye. However, I feel we have made up for lost time in these past few years. Praise God for email, huh?

Some take this final step with trepidation but God has promised us peace all the way. Recently I read; "Sing praises to the Lord, O you His saints, and give thanks to His holy name. For His anger is but for a moment, and His favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning." Psalms 30:4-5 What a glorious morning it will be for you when you come face to face with our Savior! Thank you for sharing some of your life with me! Thank you for our wonderful friendship! Have Peggy call me or email me. I want to be kept informed. I will let you rest now, even though all of this is far from what I want. Loving you! Jim and Jane Ann.

1/28/09 pm It is with sadness OR gladness that I must give you this news. I went in the hospital last night; after seeing my primary Doctor. They ran an ultra sound on my tummy and put me to bed. Then they came in this morning and said that my tummy is full of cancers and they believe I will die in the next couple of days. I am at peace with that Jane Ann and Jim. I know where I am going. They have told me to stop dialysis and that I will simply fall asleep in a couple days and you and I know where I will awaken, don't we? I called Peggy at work and she came down to get instructions from me. She is doing fairly well with the information. One of my sons is on his way up here already. He will be doing the funeral! I am making him promise to make it a celebration of the wonderful life I have had on earth and now I will be forever with my Lord. Do not weep for me! Sing a song of gladness! I love you dearly! Betty

1/29/09 am The following day I received an email from Betty's grandson who let me know Betty passed away during the night. Her mind was sound! her body became more frail day by day. At the end, she was more willing to meet Jesus and not the dialysis. As the Doctor said; when you discontinue dialysis you will just go to sleep. Oh what a glorious morning Betty had!

I knew that she had been in the Navy when she was a young woman during World War II. I knew that she had a great sense of humor as she shared her life with me. I didn't know that she would be receiving full honors of a Military Memorial Service at the Veteran's Cemetery. I was honored to know her! I am honored to have been considered her friend. When you recall how lives are intertwined with your own, you discover how comforting that is to your soul and yet it yields tears because you can't help but long for that comfort still. Times, places and things that are comforting to our souls is what makes us anxious and cause us to cry out; "You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand." James 5:8 Betty was 86 her last birthday and thought she was old, but today her youthful spirit has returned. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 11/29/09

No comments: