Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Crossword Puzzles 10/7/08

CROSSWORD PUZZLES
A few years ago, when having my annual checkup, the Doctor suggested that because of my age it would be good for me to do crossword puzzles to keep my mind active. I did crossword puzzles many years ago when my children were preschool age. I could hardly wait each night for the Daily Breeze, the local newspaper. I am an addictive person, even with crossword puzzles. I would turn as fast as I could to the page holding the answers from the day before. Why? Why was I so anxious to know if I was right or wrong. I wasn’t going to win anything and it didn’t get me any closer to being free from anything. I told the Doctor I had been there and done that and I didn’t think I wanted to do that again.
When we got our first computer in 1992, Jim and I thought it would be good to write down our memories for future generations to read. We both began with as far back as we could remember. I started with 5 and got as far as 9 years old. I didn’t think much about it again for many years until the Doctor said I should keep my mind active. I began to work at bringing me up to date, but instead of continuing with me, I started remembering my siblings. Then I wrote about my mother and father. I wrote my early memories of my children. I loved doing all of that! Unknowingly to each other we began a battle over the computer. Jim doing his sermons, lessons, commentaries on the Bible and on life while I wrote memories.
Some of my memories on these loved ones I was able to bring to a conclusion because they were now home with our Father in heaven. The rest I can keep going back to add a little here and tweak a little there. What an adventure of reliving old times and even being able to settle some of my own issues. But most of all, being able to put my life on paper with respect and love. Of course, I didn’t plan that anyone should read these memories. These are my memories! Interestingly enough, the ones I wrote about probably would remember everything I remember differently. I guess that is why they are "MY" memories!
I had no idea that I would condense some of my memories into stories or thoughts that I would call Morning Glory. I had no idea that they would become a daily or weekly devotion giving God the glory through His word. I had no idea that I would send these to my family and friends to lift them up with love and encouragement. Morning Glory has served as a medicine to my soul and I thank the Lord for giving me the scriptures to fulfil the message intended.
I read in Proverbs 10:7 that the memory of the righteous is blessed and then it says that the name of the wicked will rot. Wow! What does that mean? I believe it is saying that those who do right have no regrets but those who do not do right, even their name is lost.
God has revealed Himself to each of us in special ways. His memory is without blemish. If God chooses to remember for eternity everything I was and am, he would. However Hebrews 10:12-18 says He will remember my sins no more. These scriptures say much but usually that line is the only one we can bring to our memory. This passage says that Christ went to the cross to offer a single sacrifice for sins. With this single offering He has given those who have believed and followed his commandments a passage of forgiveness through eternity. This is the new covenant! This is one of God’s promises!
Knowing us so well, God set up a way for us to remember Him. It is like carrying a picture in our pocket of a loved one. 1 Corinthians 11:24-26 and in Luke, Jesus set up what we call Communion. The important thing in these passages is "in remembrance of me". Let’s keep our minds actively focused on Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, who through His life on earth showed us the way to the Father. His Father and mine! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/24/08

No comments: