Monday, October 6, 2008

Dirty Rotten, Dirty Rotten! 10/6/08

Good morning. This past weekend as we traveled we saw the the colors of fall are very evident. God's creation gives great pleasures. My prayer this week is for those who have found Morning Glory Devotionals refreshing and that as you go about your day you will take God's words with you as an encouragement. Jane Ann
DIRTY ROTTEN, DIRTY ROTTEN!
I began my first job at 18. Five days after my high school graduation! I was to be a clerk in an Electronic Engineering Dept with Engineers and Draftsmen. I was no longer playing school or secretary, I was one. I had a desk with pencils, pads and paper clips. I loved my new job! As my days flew into weeks and then months I began to realize that my sheltered life had broadened into a world of profanity. I had heard most of these words before, but not on a regular basis nor in such diverse ways. No matter how I tried not to, I began to want to say these words myself. I could almost smell them formulating in my little brain and running down onto my tongue just like a faucet was being turned on. I didn’t want to say these words and I was afraid that eventually my lips would not be able to stop them and would start speaking filthy words whether I wanted to or not.
I was telling my brother Lloyd about this and asked him how I could stop this from happening. You would have to know this brother of mine to appreciate all that he would say to help me to grow up. Lloyd said; "Each time you feel like you want to say a bad word, just start saying to yourself, dirty rotten, dirty rotten, dirty rotten. I’m serious, I exclaimed and he said; "Give it a try and just see if it doesn’t work, but remember to say it three times".
The next day I tried using Lloyds formula to keep bad words from watering my gums, tripping over my teeth and spilling out of my mouth. The first time, I had to laugh to myself thinking everyone around me knew what I was doing. As time went on it got easier and easier and before I knew it I no longer had the desire to say these words and they were no longer able to make even the slightest impression upon my brain. It worked!
I am sure Jim had used such words before we were married but since we have been married, neither of us have used this kind of language. My kids never heard us use these words.
When Jennifer was very small she would make up her own swear words like "donk" "gicker"and even "oh wax". We never understood what those words meant because Jennifer couldn’t talk very well anyway. When Jennifer was in her teens she was telling us about something that she was quite passionate about. She was so adamant in telling us this, that she ended it with the "h" word. What a shocker! My mother used to say that she never said anything worse than baloney. I have to admit, I have used that word. However, I am glad that I never began to use foul language. I don’t like hearing anyone use it, let alone having it come from me. I think it is disgraceful and unbecoming. It is not lady like nor does it make a man appear attractive!
As Jim and I were leaving a movie theater, on a snowy night, the attendant opened the door and exclaimed; "Jesus Christ"! I immediately responded with; "Where? Is He here"?
James 3:1-12 goes into great detail about taming the tongue. In verse 8a it says; "but no human being can tame the tongue. A restless evil, full of deadly poison". In verses 2-3 it says; "For we all make many mistakes and if any one makes no mistakes in what he says he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body also". In verses 9-10 we find; "With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brethren, this ought not to be so". Then there is verse 11; "Does a spring, pour forth from the same opening, fresh water and brackish?" Today our world is inundated with foul language. It is common to find these words in books, newspapers, movies, TV and video games. Parents use these words loosely. Kids have learned to speak it as though it is their second language. Try saying ‘dirty rotten’ three times each time you are tempted to use bad words. The words you use are windows into your character! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/24/08
.

No comments: