Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Friend: We talk a lot about how God gives us peace in the midst of the storms. In looking at John 14:23-27 Jesus tells His Disciples, that His peace He gives them! He goes on with; "Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful". However, earlier in these scriptures He says they can have this peace if they love Him and keep His word. The Father will send the Holy Spirit to them, who will teach them all things. He reminds us that those who do not love Him will not keep His commandments. Even though Jesus was telling these things to His Disciples before He left them, He is also telling us today the same things. In order to receive His peace in all circumstances, we are to love Him and to keep His word. Jane Ann

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Another song says--"When the storms of life are raging--stand by me." How we weather the storms depends upon our relationship with God before the storm struck. Too often we only turn to God during the storm. When life is calm and peaceful we go on our merry way--ignoring God. But when the storm hits--we turn to God. I have noticed that the more intense I am doing my personal worship, the more intense is my corporate worship. If we are close to God during the times of peace, he will be closer to us during the storm. Not that it is his choice--the choice is made by us. Unless we continually draw near in the times of peace we have no "reserve power" to carry us through the times of storm. Recently as I went through my "clinical depression," I was unable to even listen to the Bible. I also could not listen to the news or anything that had the slightest conflict or fear in it. I had to read only very lighthearted things--without any sadness or conflict at all. I ended up reading Art Linkletters "Kids Say the Darnest things." We need the peace of God to carry us through those kind of hard times. A time may come, for many of us, when we are unable to do for ourselves or come and go as we please. We need to draw near to God now--in the time of calm--before that storm hits. Then it will be natural for us to rest in Him them.
Ellen