Monday, June 8, 2009

DADDY, COME SEE; WATCH ME!

This week we are going to look at how we treat one another in the Spirit. Hang on, this could be rough!
DADDY, COME SEE. WATCH ME!
When my children were small, every Saturday morning we cleaned our whole house. They would do one small thing and would come and beg Jim or me to come and see. As they got older, this never stopped. We still were to come and see! Danny loved to moved the furniture. Once he came and wanted me to come and see, even though I was cleaning the toilet. Brush in hand, towel in the other. I had to leave my important job to go and see! It is important to them to get an approval each step of the way. The truth is, no matter how old we are, we are still saying, "Come and see! Watch me!" We seek out those people who will acknowledge us with a look of love and approval. Faye, my daughter-in-law has always given her three boys a look of ‘doing good’ with a thumbs up. I have seen her do this at ball games, in church when they are participating up front during worship! The boys are always seeking that look from their Mom & Dad that says you are on the right track, keep going.

When I was 17 or so, it was my turn to clean the living room. I started out hanging clothes on the line; Washing them and putting them away; Making beds; Ironing clothes; Always doing dishes etc. Well, now I got to clean the living room! On Saturday mornings my mother usually went grocery shopping. The living room was sort of on the order of a theater so that everyone could see the TV. Well my first time on the job, I changed it! It now looked like a living room. I was pretty pleased with myself! Mom came home and took one look in the living room and said; "Who cleaned the living room"? I was excited, so I said; "I did"! Mom turned to me and gave me one of her stern looks and said; "put it back the way it was"! I did! As I grew older, I began to understand my Mom. She didn’t have time for incidentals. Having to deal with so many living in her home didn’t give time for explanations. But her response hurt me just the same. I guess that is why I never minded Danny moving the furniture! I wish he was still arranging my furniture.

Can you recall a time when somebody turned on you and spoke in a way that made you leave the room with your tail between your legs? By the same token, can you remember a time when someone spoke words of approval, or encouragement? I remember when Jim first said; "I love you". I do! He brought me home after a Sing at a neighboring church. He stopped the engine and he turned towards me and said, I LOVE YOU! All I could say was; "THANK YOU! But I remember! I was amazed that somebody could feel that way about me. When we hear words that make us happy, we keep them ready to replay often, especially as we get older.

God gave us His Word to build us up. To encourage us! His word also shows us how we are to lift up and encourage one another. Gods Word is very important and so is our word! To love one another is a commandment! It doesn’t leave room for negativity! Showing our appreciation is important for our spouse and our children. Our response is important!

When we are loving God, we can’t help but show approval, appreciation, encouragement and affirmation to others. Matthew 22:37-39 says; "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and all your mind and Love your neighbor as yourself"! We know when God gives us His approval! We know when we have done well! We feel it in our souls and when it is appreciated by others. Keeping God’s commandments are necessary for us because it helps us to remember what pleases Him. Receiving approval and encouragement not only makes us feel good about ourselves, but it helps us to know what it can do for those we show appreciation and encouragement to. With our Heavenly Father, we don’t have to say; "Come and see! Watch me"! What satisfaction. Love Rules! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/25/08

No comments: