Wednesday, June 3, 2009

THE LAW
When Jennifer was preparing to attend summer school I went with her to get her enrolled and to sign some papers. When the enrollment was completed I was given two more papers to sign. I glanced at them and then asked; "Exactly what are these papers?" The clerk informed me that these papers were acknowledgment of my having received a copy of my rights as parent of my child. "My Rights"?; I responded! More like, I exploded! She told me that according to the law the child has more rights than the parent does in regards to how the school teaches, what they teach and what information is given to the parent.

I refused to sign the papers! I was informed that under the law, unless I signed these papers they would not be able to allow Jennifer to attend summer school. I thought about it for a few minutes and I told her I would sign the papers only because Jennifer needed summer school to help her to retain what she had already learned and wouldn’t regress during the summer. However, as far as my rights were concerned, I was still her parent and if the school did anything that was contrary to what I considered right or necessary , they would hear from me.

For quite some time the law has been on the side of the child, which in some cases is a good thing. To unify the law for all children is not a good thing. It takes parenting out of the hands of the good parent as well as overseeing the good of the child in homes where bad parenting is going on.

In 1996 The Christian Coalition and its political allies were campaigning to establish the right to raise one’s child, free of outside interference. Parents, in their view, can no longer spank a child without being harassed by a government agency, while schools are constantly subjecting children to offensive sexual materials or anti-religious teachings. However, establishing parental rights would make it easier for parents to file lawsuits against everything from sex education to the teaching of evolution and certain works of literature by Mark Twain or Shakespeare. The consensus also felt that this would give parents the right to bring litigation to harass local school boards and authorities into withdrawing controversial courses.

According to Bob Unruh, posted April 09; "Supporters of a plan to amend the U.S. Constitution to include parental rights are warning moms and dads across the United States they already are losing their rights to make decisions regarding their children’s health, education, welfare, finances, sex education, access to abortion and even leisure time". It has become apparent that even though the parent is still the parent the term; "what is best for the child" can override a good parents decision. I ask; "Who determines what is best for the child?"

I agree with the ‘Parental Rights in Education’ a statement by Focus on the Family which says; "We steadfastly oppose any and all domestic and international efforts of social parenting movements that would define children as wards of the state." I believe that the school is to teach the 3 R’s and other academic instruction and leave morality and religion up to the parents.

According to the Alliance Defense Fund statement; "The US Supreme Court has ruled that parents have the right to ‘direct the moral upbringing of their children." That right extends to the rights of parents to have their children ‘opt-out’ of explicit sex education programs that contradict and undermine the family’s sincere religious and moral beliefs."

Family Research Council says; "Parents play a major role in whether or not their teen will have sex". Chastity is taught in the home! "Little children, let no one deceive you. He who does right is righteous, as He is righteous. He who commits sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning". 1 John 3:7-8 Just because some parents are not in the know doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be. Teaching our children is the key! Jane Ann

1 comment:

Donald W White said...

I'm afraid that this is just a glimpse of things to come. But remember -- no matter how man rules the government, God will ALWAYS rule the universe -- and He can never be voted out!

Blessings, Don