Monday, June 29, 2009

IS THERE A TIME TO WORRY? 6/29/09

This week we are going to look at one of the plagues of our century; Worry and anxiety! It comes to all of us at one time or another. Sometimes it is caused because of a medical condition , but many times it is self enduced. I am not an expert in this field, but I have walked this path and know that it no picnic. However, I find myself leaning more and more upon our Savior and know the peace I find there.
I am a worrier! At one time in time my anxiety was so great, I worried about everything! Great or small I could make it a BIG problem. The summer of 2007, Jim and Jennifer went down South for about 5 days to visit his family. A long drive! I stayed home because I didn't want to miss seeing Adam, Our #1 grandson, leave for boot camp. Since I was alone, my anxiety set it. Now, I know I shouldn't worry, but this thing worry had been plaguing me for quite a while. I blamed it on my medications! For six years the side affects were varied, so were the medicines. In January I had some of my Meds changed but I was still experiencing major side affects and anxiety.

I remember sitting on the deck overlooking our little English Garden. I had just watered the flowers as Jim had instructed me. For no reason, I began to cry! Our God is so good! That morning I was reminded that; "Yes, I worry, but I am content". "Yes I worry, but God has promised me peace." "Yes I worry, but I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". If something would have happened to Jim and Jennifer on this trip God would have been my comfort. Through sorrow and complete devastation I would be comforted and given the peace that passes all understanding. You know why? Our focus is on heaven!

The spring of 2008, Jim and Jennifer left for another trip to be with his family. This time with all the preparations and saying good-byes I felt no anxiety. No worries! I was just fine!
However, earlier that year I suffered a heart event and all my medicines had been changed and I no longer was experiencing any of the side effects of the previous medicines. I can leave Jim and Jennifer in God's hands and know that He will take care of them and me.

How many of you worry about tomorrow? Because Paul didn't worry about what tomorrow held, he could rejoice daily knowing his faithful God was in control. Worrying about what the future holds does absolutely no good; it simply robs us of today's joys. Paul expressed his joy for the day even though tomorrow threatened to be difficult. He also encouraged the Philippians to rejoice as he did, regardless of their circumstances.

Jim has reminded me many times that the Apostles were focused upon Christ and heaven. That was why they could give up everything to follow Him and to establish His Church. They had concerns but worry did not overpower them. We too have a destination! HEAVEN! Because we know where we are headed, this can bring contentment into our lives. When we find it difficult to have this kind of contentment and worry overtakes us, we only need to come to the Father for His reassurance.

Are you aware that prayer is a gift from God! Using this gift often brings results of profound magnitude. It is the one gift that can be used at anytime and anyplace. The scriptures show us that we are to be circumspect when we pray. We should never enter prayer lightly! Psalm 24:1-6 says; "We are to come to Him with a contrite heart and clean hands." Psalm 5:3 says; "We are to approach the throne seeking God in faith and expectancy." In James 5:16c it tells us that if we approach God, knowing Him, we should not be afraid. It doesn't say that only the righteous can approach God, however, it does say they have great power.

When my worry button is pushed, I immediately yell at Satan and then seek God's face. It took a heart event for me to have my medicines changed but in fact my heart event was an answer to prayer. In short, approach the Father with clean hands, a pure heart, humbled and exalting God. Do what is right; muster up faith of a grain of a mustard see; Love life; Turn from evil; Seek peace. Have confidence and remember who you are and who He is. We all have witness ansers to prayer, but we have seen nothing yet! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 5/24/08

No comments: