Thursday, June 25, 2009

SPECIAL OLYMPICS!
In 1960 Dr. Frank Hayden, a Medical Professor in Toronto Canada and Eunice Kennedy Shriver were seeing the beneficial value in enabling athletic opportunities for developmentally disabled children by offering summer camps. Through this venture the program took off like wild fire and today the Special olympics are offered all over the world and have become just as important in the world of sports, as the Ancient Olympics did over 2000 years ago in Greece.

During my highschool days, football was the highlight of every Friday night during the first quarter of the school year. I can't recall the name nor what grade he was in but I do remember one of the football players. He was slight build and his left arm was limp. It would hang at his side and some times it was in a sling but I remember, he was on the football team.

Jim remembers about 10 years ago a pitcher playing in the National League. His right hand was partially missing and he used only his left hand. He would come out onto the mound with his glove on his left hand. He would catch the ball in the glove and when he was ready to pitch he would put the glove with the ball under his right arm. Removed the ball with his left hand, pitch the ball, reach over and put his left hand into the glove as quick as a wink and be ready to catch the ball again. Obviously, no handicap here!

I have seen on TV, wheelchair basketball and of course other competitive sports where the players were able to compete without handicaps even though they were handicapped. Isn't it amazing what a person can do, when they give it a try and put their minds to it.

When those, in reality shouldn't be able to, actually can participate; we stand in the bleachers and cheer full of pride for their achievements and also for their tenacity. When we are close to one of the achievers we are full of pride and expect everyone else to show that pride also.

I find that sometimes in the church, we work under a handicap even though we are not necessarily handicapped. God has given us all talents of one kind or another. God expects us to use these talents and to even use muscles that are under developed, in His service.

During my most active years of service within the church body, my overload button should have gone off many times. It is true the more you do, the more that is expected of you. In January of 1979, while my plate was pretty full, the preacher came to me and said he wanted a choir to do a Cantata for Easter as an added celebration in dedicating our new Sanctuary. We didn't have a choir! We didn't even have many who had shown a desire for a choir! Being a singer didn't make me a choir director! I said; "I can't direct a choir!" He assured me I could and one of my problems is that I could never say no to anything that was asked of me within the church. With the Lord's direction, we formed a choir and I led this choir for almost 10 years.

Do you remember the conversation Moses had with God at the burning bush as found in Exodus 3? Moses, with all his insecurities shook his head and said no to God. "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the sons of Israel out of Egypt?" Further on Moses says; "If I come to the people". Do you suppose Moses dares to argue with God? Can you imagine the ring in God's voice when he replies to Moses with; "I Am who I Am!" I shudder to think how Moses must have recoiled under the thunderous sound of God's voice. Moses continues to argue with God and says; "Oh my Lord, I am not eloquent; I am slow of speech and of tongue!" Eventually God, realizing that this man He had chosen, was bringing Him to anger, said; "Aaron will go with you and I will speak to your mouth and you will speak to his mouth and Aaron will be glad in heart". God kept His promises to Moses and even hardened Pharaoh's heart!

Whenever we come face to face with our Lord, we are standing on holy ground! We can take off our shoes, but we need to be ready and willing to do as we are asked. Jane Ann

No comments: