Friday, June 19, 2009

STRONG AS A TREE!
This Sunday
is Fathers Day! A day that began June 19, 1910 by a daughter who was raised by her father in Spokane, Washington. In 1926 a national committee was formed in New York City and in 1956 it was recognized by a joint resolution of Congress. In 1972, President Nixon signed the proclamation for a national observance of Father’s Day. It was held yearly, on the third Sunday in June. One more interesting fact is, June 19th is my husbands birthday!

If you could characterize your Father as a tree, what tree would it be? I have never thought of this before, but I think I would see my Father as ‘the Tree of Life’! Not because it was a tree in the Garden of Eden and good to eat, or because it needed to be guarded after Adam and Eve sinned, but because my father gave life to 14 children.

I asked Jim this question and he said; The young Oak! His Father was hard headed and a visionary who brought his family out of Louisiana to California, where he could provide for them and they could prosper. I asked Jennifer this question about her Father and she said; "A Fir?" Well, if she is meaning a Christmas Tree, I would agree, because he certainly lights up our lives.

The persona of a strong tree always reminds me of the persona that a father should have. Head and shoulders in stature and soft and gentle swaying in the breeze. I think there was a book written about Paul, called; "Hands of Velvet, Hands of Steel"! I think this title also fits the persona of a Father. Being firm yet a gentle peacemaker!

"I think that I shall never see, a poem lovely as a tree. A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed against the sweet earth’s flowing breast; A tree that looks at God all day, and lifts her leafy arms to pray; A tree that may in summer wear a nest of robins in her hair; Upon whose bosom snow has lain; Who intimately lives with rain. Poems are made by fools like me, But only God can make a tree." Trees by Joyce Kilmer, 1886-1918

This is a poem you very seldom hear anymore. One of the things that surprised me about this poem is that Joyce Kilmer was a man. His name and his style presents his strength and his softer side. I sang in an all girls double trio and one of the songs we sang was Trees! I loved the poetry and the melody not to mention, the message is one that always rings true.

I have always been fascinated by tree’s! In my single years, my two sisters and I visited Muir Woods just outside of San Francisco. Huge trees that seem to form a canape overhead. Some of these trees had 6 ft cavities carved out of the them. Our guide asked me to stand inside of one of these burned out hollow spaces. I did! Then he explained that the Indians who inhabited this area would provide these places for the maiden to stand when they were ready for a mate. Needless to say, I moved very fast from the inside of that hollowed out tree.

Jim and I have driven through the redwoods and have stopped and admired their majesty. I have pondered the rows of trees in Santa Barbara, California that show massive roots all exposed to the elements. We have driven through rural areas in Virginia that showed so many variations of the color green and the different varieties of trees along the roadside.
Our #3 grandson, Jordan would say he knew when they were getting closer to our home, when he saw the ugly trees. The scrub oak! They were only ugly to him because they were not as beautiful as the evergreen firs and pine trees along the long stretch of mountain roads that separated us.

"A Father who plants himself by the waters of the Lord will be nourished and will grow strong like a tree." Psalms. "His offsprings will rise up and glory in his name. His grandchildren are his crown." Proverbs "Bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord." Ephesians It can happen, you know! With the Lord, anything can happen! Jane Ann

No comments: