Thursday, August 27, 2009

CHANGES!
I have a calendar that says; "You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself." Yes, you can purpose to change yourself! When the new director came on board at Goodwill Industries in 1976, he called me into his office. As his secretary, much debate was being held amongst the other employees as to how he and I were going to get along because his mouth was very crude, to put it mildly. As I sat down opposite him he said; "I understand we have a problem!" Of course, I already knew what was ahead but I said; "A problem?" He explained to me that he has always talked like a sailor and was to old to change. I tried to let him down gently with; "Mr. Travis, your mouth is your problem!"

It is true that I found his language offensive and had already been exposed to it because he had been the Director of the Board before becoming the Executive Director of Goodwill. However, he never used these expletives directly towards me, but he never took into account who was present. This was just how he talked! I suggested that he could change if he put his mind to it and it didn't matter that he had been using this type of vulgarity all his life. We parted with the idea that he was who he was and I would just have to live it.

If God was to have one speciality He was best at, I would say it is change! His changes come gradually not over night. I accepted Jesus as my Savior when I was 10. In my teens I began to walk somewhat, circumspectfully. I fell off the wagon many times but I got back on and would try it His way again. In my twenty's I married and found that I had to change my way of thinking because it was just not me anymore. God's way became more and more my way. When children entered the picture; it was apparent that I needed God even more. Through the years God has changed me. Those who have known me for many years can tell you that I am different than when we first met. God takes a life and begins to form the person he created it to be. He washes away the muck and the mire and you are no longer the same; You are different! You have become a type of metamorphosis, of who you were.

I have seen God take the lives of family and friends and turn them into what He wants them to be. He does that to everyone who says they want Him in their lives. He does this to those who say; "I believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God!" He lifts the fallen and raises them up. It is easier for Him to do His work in us when we follow and are obedient to His word. Our God is patient!

"Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips." Psalms 141:3 I have this scripture hanging on my office wall in my home. It is a reminder for me because I have a habit of running off at the mouth. I talk too much! I should have given this to Mr. Travis so many years ago. As it was, he learned to control his tongue. He never used those words in my presence again, except for the occasional slip of the tongue. Forgetfulness happens!

I beseech you therefore brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:1-2

Change is something we decide to do! Change is something that God does; because changing lives is God's business and He does it gradually. Going down into the waters of baptism gives us the edge which all new followers receive. That edge is the Holy Spirit which will take our old life and make it new. I can't imagine my life without God! I can't imagine facing each day without Him! I just can't! I hope you can't either. Jane Ann

No comments: