Monday, August 17, 2009

WALK AND TALK! 8/17/09

My mother worked outside the home. One of the things my Mother loved to do was read but because her life was busy, she never seem to find time. On the way home from work she would stop at the store, pick up a few groceries and then walk home. The sack of groceries in one arm and in the other, a paperback book. She would walk and read!

During the 70's my brother Lloyd and my mother were living in Oregon on some acreage where she tended to chickens, a small garden with plenty of open space. One afternoon, I stopped by for a visit. Lloyd greeted me with; "Missed you at the services this morning"! I replied; "What services"? "Oh; Mom cremated a couple of eggs"! My mother was always a multitasker but sometimes she would forget what task took precedence or even what she had been doing. She had put the eggs on to boil and then went into the garden to pull a few weeds.

A few years ago I discovered that walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes was boring. I could watch television but couldn't hear anything. I dreaded going to the gym but Jim wanted to and the Doctor said walk, walk, walk. One day as I was walking on the treadmill I closed my eyes. I found I was able to keep my balance and no one seemed to bother me. I began to pray! The next time we went and as soon as I was in my treadmill rhythm, I closed my eyes and spent 20 minutes just walking and talking with my Lord. What an absolute joy! Jim and I would walk around our neighborhood which we enjoyed but he had to walk slower because of me and I found that I missed being able to talk with the Lord while walking. Other problems came up while walking in the neighborhood. Once, I slipped on some ice and fell, Jim had to hurry home and get the car! Several times I just needed to hurry home. Once, while walking alone, I even had a heart attack. Jim decided that walking in the neighborhood was not for me. We still walk together once in a while.

Shortly after we moved into the house we now live in, Jim had a sidewalk put in that circled the house. He was looking forward and rightfully so! Most of the time, Jim walks the neighborhood by himself, because the treadmill causes his pulse rate to elevate. When he leaves for his walk, I begin my walk around the house and when I see him coming down the street I know that I have one more lap to go. The interesting things is that I walk and talk, praying out loud and Jim walks and talks, praying quiety to himself. Again, what an absolute joy!

Recently, during a presidential debate, I heard an old phrase; "We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time". In other words we should be able to multitask. I believe in multitasking but I also believe that we need to be circumspect with the tasks at hand. Once in a while as we walk and chew gum we find that we need to stop and tie our shoe. Often life gets in the way as we multitask and we just don't want to stop what we are doing to take care of it.

Jesus had one purpose in mind when He began His walk among the people. Did He multitask upon the way? Absolutely! A lot of the time Jesus wasn't purposely multitasking. Did He refuse when He was pressed upon to divert His attention from the path He was on? Sometimes He did!
However, when there was a need, He would delay the important task before Him and stop to help. Jesus knew, He could get where He was going, whatever He did.

In Matthew 28:19-20 Jesus gave specific instructions to the Apostles and to us. Jesus said; "Go ye therefore", which means; "As you go!" As Jesus was headed towards the cross, He healed the sick; the lame to walk; the blind to see; demons to flee and raised the dead. He wants us "As we go"; to make disciples, baptizing, teaching them to obey His commandments. It's pretty simple for us, because we are people who are always on the go. Walking and talking is what Jesus asks. Can we do it? You bet we can! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/26/09

No comments: