Tuesday, August 18, 2009

WISH I MAY, I WISH I MIGHT!
Remember "Twinkle, twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high like a diamond in the sky." How about; "Star light star bright, I wish I may, I wish I might, I wish my dream comes true tonight!" In Music Man one of the songs talks about wishing for that special someone. Remember; "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are". If we didn't know better we would think man places all his hopes in the stars.

When we are young our heads are filled with thoughts of wishing for someone or something. Many times we begin with; "I wish"! What does it mean to 'wish' for something? I believe it means that we long for something that we strongly desire. It can also mean that we strongly desire something for someone else. We are always wishing someone happiness!

When Jim was a young athlete, his wish/dream was to become a third baseman for the New York Yankee's or some big league team. He also had a wish to become financially secure. Neither of those wishes became a reality because he got me instead. My wish was to become popular; a singer; a secretary; a missionary. As you can see my list was always changing. However, I did become a secretary! But mostly, I got Jim! He changed my whole life instead.

God took our wishes and gave us something that both of us believe has fulfilled all the wishes we never got around to, because we couldn't be more happy than we are right now. Our dreams keep unfolding and as we watch the family God gave us, we are thrilled. Can you think about a time when your head was filled with wonder? I believe it is part of who we were in childhood. Whether our dreams have been realized or we are still dreaming it is all a part of who we are. When we grow up and put dreaming behind us we move into the reality of life. We find our place under the sun and make it what we can. If we do it alone we struggle alone. When we do it with God our struggle is diminished and we find strength in the Lord.

Many times we are disappointed that our dreams never materialized. We are disappointed our marriage didn't turn out the way we had anticipated. We feel disillusioned and can't seem to recover from the discouragements that life has dealt us. "In the day when I cried thou answered me, and strengthened me with strength in my soul." Psalm 138:3

Those who have chosen to follow God, will still find troubles lurking at their doors. Those who have given their lives to the Lord will still find moments of wandering in the desert and can't seem to find their way back. We must remember that God never moved! We are the ones that have been relocating and we are doing all of these things on our own. "Although affliction comes not from the dust, neither does trouble spring out of the ground; Yet man is born unto trouble, as sparks fly upward. I will seek God, and unto God will I commit my problems." Job 5:6-8

I have seen my mother when trouble came her way and it seemed unsurmountable. I remember when she first told me that she was to return to California and live with my brother Lonnie. I was devastated! She told me she was changing. She was becoming forgetful and it wasn't just because she was 75. It was quite noticeable to her! My mother lived alone in a big house where she took care of my brother Lloyd who by this time in his life was very much dependent on someone else to care for him. She needed to be where Lonnie could help Lloyd and her. It wasn't all that long until she wasn't able to care for herself. She put her trust in God!

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 Jane Ann

No comments: