Monday, August 10, 2009

GLORY HERE OR IN THE HEREAFTER? 8/10/09

1997 was a year that has become renown in our history but had nothing to do with the United States. August 31 1997 Princess of Wales; Diana Spencer, the worlds princess; was killed in a freak car accident while being chased by the Paparazzi. At the time of this writing, eleven years have passed and we still can't get enough of her pictures and her story. I can't blame those who follow even today, the glitz and glamor of Princess Diana! We have always been infatuated with the rich and famous and I doubt if that will ever stop.

The morning of September 5, 1997 Jim and I were driving to Idaho to visit my sister Jeri and her family for a few days. It was Labor day weekend! While driving along listening to one of Jim's favorite radio commentators Rush Limbaugh, he interrupted his program with a news bulletin; Mother Teresa passed away! What a loss! What a life she had led! I was happy that she was to receive her reward but saddened for those who would miss her love and care.

Interestingly enough, this woman of notable renown was completely overshadowed by shock and despair of the passing of Princess Diana, 5 days earlier. I don't want to compare the lives of these two women because both were involved with many deeds of love and care that would be considered above reproach. However, Mother Teresa was a women unlike any other woman in our world.

She began her career emotionally when at the age of 12, she felt called by God. In 1950 it was approved, that she could start her own order called "The Missionaries of Charity". It was an order to love and care for those, who nobody was prepared to look after. She has been quoted by those of all faiths; She established over 610 missions in 123 countries, including hospices. She has received many prizes but the most acclaimed was the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. I would have to say that Mother Teresa was a woman after God's own heart.

Sometimes we ask ourselves, what is God's will for me? Sometimes we feel at a loss as to what we should be doing for God. Sometimes we think that because we don't have the passion or desire to do the things like Mother Teresa that we are a failure in serving God. Sometimes, we just need to wait upon the Lord! I always felt that I had a passion for missions!

One evening after an evangelistic meeting at my church, I felt not only the passion but a heartfelt desire. I wanted to be a missionary! I talked with my beloved pastor and because he knew me so well and also my financial condition, he said to me; "Janie; You would be great as a missionary, but what we need more is for women like you in the work place. A woman that when the co-workers would speak of you it would not be; "She is a good employee but you ought to see her after hours! Instead they would know that you belong to Christ! That your no is no and your yes is yes! There would be no question of your honesty in character"! I like to think I became a Godly woman in the workplace, just as Mr. Ellett suggested!

In Matthew 6 Jesus talks about doing things in secret. Giving your money; not letting your left hand know what your right hand is doing; praying; fasting; laying up your treasures in heaven. Verse 22 says; "The lamp of your body is the eye; if therefore your eye is clear your whole body will be full of light". Jesus also says; "If your eye is bad your whole body will be filled with darkness." He continues with; "No one can serve two masters"!

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father"! Colossians 3:17 I know I will never be accomplished or world famous like Mother Teresa or Princess Diana. Life is not a competition to receive glory. Our glory is Jesus Christ! Glory can be here and in the hereafter. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 12/15/08

No comments: