Thursday, August 20, 2009

DEFENDING THE FAITH!
Who do you know that you would say is a 'defender' of the faith? Is this person someone who is ready to give account of why he believes; why he knows that if he should die today he would be in heaven. I know of a man who in his quiet like manner and yet full of purpose, stands out in my mind as a 'defender' of the faith. He would ask you questions and quietly listen as you would hum haw and stammer in giving your answers. He didn't laugh or ridicule but would encourage you with his knowledge of the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

One other attribute that Vernon has, is that he is also able to learn from you. He is not a know it all preacher; although, he knows a lot! He is a disciple of Christ and considers himself as a follower and that we are in this together. He is not condescending nor is he aloof; He is our friend! Vernon has retired from the ministry but uses every opportunity to share his faith. When I first met Vernon, he asked me to come help him in the office at the church, primarily because I had a portable typewriter. Every day he asked me to call those he was going to visit. Some were very receptive to having the preacher call but many were somewhat reluctant.

For those who were reluctant, I was to ask if Vernon could be of help in any way. If they were painting, he would go and prepare to paint. If they were bailing, he would go and prepare to bail. It didn't matter how difficult or how long, Vernon would go and help. However, Vernon never went without being prepared to share the gospel. As new members of this congregation, on several occasions, he would call Jim to go along. To Vernon, defending the faith was a way of life. His moto was; "Have Bible, will travel!"

A defender of the faith is not always one who stands behind the pulpit, nor is it one who has graduated from a Bible College. A defender of the faith is one who is willing to stand up and be counted for the Lord in whatever capacity that is required at the moment. Recently I have become acquainted with Bessie. She is a true defender of the faith and is ready to bring the name of Jesus into every conversation. She is not afraid, nor is she intimidated by who you are. I need to take a lesson from Bessie! "And who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation and do not be troubled." 1 Peter 3:13-14

Write your conversion story on a piece of stationery. Put your name and date at the top and then begin with; "I first met the Lord when I was 9 years old." Of course, that is how I would start mine, but you start yours where it begins and build it from there. Tell about how you felt; where you have been; where you were when you met Jesus; and where you are today. Put in the tears, the smiles along with the nuts and bolts of making a change. Put this in your Bible, the glove compartment of your car and/or in your purse. When you are asked to defend or share your faith, whip it out and be not afraid; "For I am with you even until the end of the age!" Eventually, you will be able to say it without the reminder in your hand. You will become confident and the Holy Spirit will continue to enable you to build on your first testimony and before you know it; you will be considered one of the 'defenders of the faith'!

"But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3;15 Take your facorite scripture with you wherever you go and always be ready to use it. Our God is good to us, even while we are reaching for the stars. Jane Ann

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jane Ann,

I like that idea of the notecard. As Vernon's daughter, I grew up with him calling on the congregation and helping them as you said, sometimes I resented that he was not at home, but I can now see how many people he touched and brought to the Lord through his ministry not only behind the pulpit, but in the "field". I am so very proud to be his daughter and I pray that I am able to follow his example of living the faith.

Tony Mejias said...

Dear Jane Ann,

You are so right about Vernon. Since I've moved to California I've never met a "Defender of the Faith" like my brother Vernon. I won't steal your "lines" and memories about Vernon. You met him first. You know that I got there (White City)later. But in the short time that I was blessed to work with him side-by-side and walking in the faith all these years, I'm with you Jane Ann. Vernon Landreth is a Defender of the Faith. He will be in my heart as long as I live. That's why he is been blessed with loving children and a loving wife, loving congregations and many, many loving friends. "Many will be called, but few will be chosen", Jesus said. Vernon is a great inspiration and a roll-model for the youth and communities. Vernon is strong in the Faith and strong in the Spirit. He is Spiritual. Most Pastors lack of Spiritual Faith. He is a NATURAL... This is one of my favorite Scryptures.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, kidness, goodness, FAITHFULNESS, gentleness and Self-Control. Against such things there is no law. My brother Vernon covers all that.
Have a good day Jane Ann
And God bless you and keep you.
Love you in Christ, Tony