Saturday, January 23, 2010

A FELLOW TRAVELER! Saturday 1/23/10

Recently on a computer dialogue called 'facebook' there was a sort of conversation between many who were responding to a question regarding character versus reputation. I find it interesting how the relatively young people of today, that is those who are in their 40's and 50's, view words and the world. The consensus was character was who you are and reputation is how people view you. I believe they go hand in hand! Mainly because I like to look at the good more than the bad; therefore, if you have good character, your reputation denotes that and that is how you are seen. The discussion was basically right on but I want to take it a step further.

As a young woman, when a young man began to spread rumors about me, my brother Lloyd heard it. Lloyd went to the preacher! The preacher said; "Those who know Janie won't believe it." Mr. Ellett, took care of the situation and I never heard any of the rumors. But I appreciated his kind words and even to today, have never heard the rumors. Mr. Ellett said my character defined my reputation, whereby the rumors would be nil and void.

"We rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope and hope does not disappoint us, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit which has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5 In Hebrew's chapter 6, Paul shows us that God's character is unchanging, however, our character is. When we seek good our character has hope but when we are seeking things of the world our character becomes tarnished. The same is true for our reputation.

"Now a bishop must be above reproach." 1 Timothy 3:2a "Moreover he must be well thought of by outsiders, or he may fall into reproach and the snare of the devil." 1 Timothy 3:7 Character does count! The preacher, the elder and a member of the body of Christ must have good character so those that view him will know of his Godly reputation. You can see, I can't get to far from God's words when it comes to how we live and are seen by others.

Many of us who follow the teachings in the Old Testament know of King Solomon; David's son. God gave Solomon a wise heart to lead his people but he did not always exhibit a character above reproach, but the things he did for God were. "The Lord gave Solomon a great reputation (or repute) in the sight of all Israel and bestowed upon him such royal majesty as had not been on any king before him in Israel." 1 Chronicles 29:25 God gave solomon riches and a reputation known throughout their world.

Many times we consider ourselves to be in fellowship as we go down certain roads of thought. Many times we want to be like those we believe in and follow. Many times we get confused as to what it is we really think. In 1965 a new term was coined and put into the up-to-date Webster's New American Dictionary. However, the phrase, a fellow traveler was actually a person who favors Communist doctrines, but is not a member of the Communist Party. Be careful who you are in fellowship with. Be careful when you think character is only in secret.

Viewing ones reputation is not enough, but knowing their character is. Ones moral strength and/or qualities defines character. A person of good character has a good standing worthy of esteem which defines a good reputation. Jesus talks about good and bad fruit. He says that every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears evil fruit. A good tree cannot bear evil fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. This is logical! "Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will know them by their fruit." Matthew 7:19-20

When considering character and/or reputation be sure you consider the fellowship of Jesus Christ. I know whom I believe in; do you? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 9/18/09

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You do have a very good way with words Jane Ann. I learn to look st something a different way each time I read a blog. If it isn't too much trouble for you I would like you to send me a reminder of your blog with that link in it each day after you write. I forget to go look it up with all the other projects I am involved in. But if it is in my inbox, I will open it and read and enjoy it. Whenever you send a link I open and read and then read several at a time. Again, I want to remind you to have a hard copy of these printed to pass on down through the generations.

Hey, how would you like to take a life story class from me via the internet. I could send you the writing assignment and you could send it back, etc. I'd love hearing more of your stories.