Tuesday, January 12, 2010

KNOCK ON WOOD!

To knock on wood is something we carried from childhood into adulthood. Keeping up with the Jones' came about when we were inspired by what our neighbors had. How about; the grass is greener on the other side? Perhaps these are not in your mental phraseology book but sometimes apply to our wicked ways of wishing on a star and wanting what our neighbor has. My problem is wondering how come those who do not obey God's commandments seem to be more prosperous and have more stuff than me. My problem is wondering why we seem to be out of the loop when it comes to being found in the magazines of the 'homes of the rich and famous' and are never found within the top 10 of the 'Wall Street Journal'. Jim says it is because we spend our millions before it can accumulate.

Does this mean that all Christians are poor and live within the sub-standard of life? Does this mean that most of us always live within our means. Does this mean that God doesn't want us to be among the haves and only remain among the have nots? Maybe it means that possession could be 9/10th of the law but not required for salvation? Does this mean that the one who wins really doesn't have the most toys? "Take heed and beware of all greed or covetousness; for a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions." Luke 12:15 I think this all means that when we seek God's kingdom, all that we need will be ours.

I think it is truly funny that we all seem to reach for something we can knock on when we want something or want something to happen. Some are more secretive than others and cross their fingers behind their backs. Which are you; the out in the open knocker or a little bit secretive and cross your fingers quickly before anyone can notice. I remember knocking on wood and as a girl crossing my fingers right along with the other girls and then we would giggle. One of the things we had to learn early on in life is that we do not have a fairy godmother, nor can we rely on our horoscope; we must use our heads and our hearts.

I have often used the term; "I settle!" This means that if I can't have what I actually want then I settle for what I can have. This is not a bad thing but when I revealed this recently to Jim, I think he thought I was complaining. I wasn't! I was just stating a fact. He doesn't want me to settle. In life we often settle. God is good because even when I settle I am content. "Not that I complain of want; for I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be be content." Philippians 4:11 This verse is a staple in my spiritual life! This verse helps me to settle with joy! My life is so filled with so much, how can I be otherwise!

I was once a stay at home Mom but desperately wanted to be a working woman again. For a while, I did part time office work for a company I can't even remember the name of. I took a two week job at a local hospital helping out in the Patient File Library. I loved it! At this time in my life I did cross word puzzles and read my horoscope everyday. When my two weeks were completed I read in my horoscope that I would receive a job offer and I should take it. Boy was I surprised when this hospital called me and asked if I would like a full time job in their library. I was afraid to refuse because of my horoscope and so I said yes and was to report the following Monday. I was filled with mixed emotions! I am a Christian; could this be from God? The more I fretted, the more confused I became! Jim reminded me I was responding to the horoscope and not to God or my heart. The following Monday, I called the hospital and told them I wouldn't be takng the job. Whew!

Knocking on wood; crossing our fingers or paying attention to astrology is not within God's will. Listening to God through His scriptures is! "It is better to trust in God than to put your confidence in man." Psalms 118:8 By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/9/10

No comments: