Sunday, January 24, 2010

THE FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK! 1/24/10

Sunday is my favorite day of the week! As long as I can remember Sunday has been my favorite. I liked getting dressed up; I loved dressing the kids in their finest and Jim always looked so handsome! I guess you could say I was as proud as a peacock on Sunday mornings with my family and I still am.

Sunday morning also brought me into a special fellowship with other members of my family, and friends that I had known most of my life. As the years moved on and we did too, we met more friends and family and the fellowship only got better and better. Today, it always amazes me how God brings so many different people together in one place and we find love, joy and peace within the bond of Jesus Christ and we call it; the Family of God.

However, Sunday is also a day of reckoning! Setting aside the Sunday School classes and listening to the preacher; lets talk about meeting in a place that has been dedicated for our Lords family, that comes together to sing His praises; to worship Him and to sit at His table. Some call it a habit and maybe it is; but something is missing in my week if I have not been in church on Sunday. Something is gone from my spirit if I miss sitting at His table. I feel dull when I haven't been sharing in the songs of praise and worship at the beginning of the week.

Jim and I have grown so close during our years together; our closeness is because of our bond in Jesus Christ. Didn't start out that way but we have been married 48 years this next week and we are inseparable, not because we are married but because we have the same heart felt desire to stay as close to Jesus as possible. I realize not all look at their relationships the same as we do; but it works for us! We are still in love with each other but better than that we are in love with Jesus Christ, our Savior!

The early church at the very beginning "devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and prayers." Acts 2:42 We too are devoted to those very same things aren't we? Paul instructed the Ephesians with; "Address one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart." Ephesians 5:19 We call that 'Praise and Worship' today!

John writes in Acts 20:7 "On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread!" Because the early church came together on the first day of the week, we do too. We come together to sit at the Lord's Table. I love this time of reflection upon our Savior and His gracious gift to us through His death on the cross and His resurrection.

We are told that we are to examine ourselves and many times I hear it said in the meditation, that we should take this time around the table to do just that. I believe we are only to reflect upon the Christ, not ourselves. Yes we are to examine ourselves but we should have been doing that throughout the week so that we are ready to come to His table. "Who may ascend into the hill of the Lord? And who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart!" Psalms 24:3-4a

Wherever Paul went he would encourage the people; "And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful! Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teach and admonish one another in all wisdom and sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Colossians 3;15-16

Yes, Sundays are my favorite! Sundays beckon me! I may forget what day of the week it is, but I always know when it is Sunday. Lots of things have changed since I was a young mother dressing my children for this special day, but my heart is still anxious to be in the house of the Lord with the family He has given me. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 1/21/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

We're glad we were part of your church family for several years.