Saturday, February 20, 2010

DO NOT REMOVE! 2/20/10

I must have gotten my love for books from my Mother and probably my sister Jean. I used to clean the two shelf's on each of two built in bookcares that were in the dining room when I was a girl. I loved those books! When Mom moved to Oregon she had a whole wall filled with books. In many of these books she had written her full name, address and "Do Not Remove From This Property" in bold letters. My sister Jean ended up with what books were left after my mothers house fire. The last couple of years, she has been sending these to all the siblings. She carefully picks and chooses just the right book to send to each one of us. What a treasured thought! Talking to Jean over the phone, with her reading the titles is just another way of going down memory lane. As you know that is one of my favorite past times.

I am not the avid reader of fiction and even non fiction as I use to be. I do read, but I have to put the book down often and so it takes me a long time to actually finish a book. So I just read what I want out of the book and as my mother and my sister Jean, I have lots and lots of books. People give me books because I have now, become a writer. I also have books given to me from their own bookshelves. I found a couple yesterday that had belonged to the organist at the church I attended for over 30 years. Of course she has been gone for about 5 years now and I can't remember how I got them.

It saddens me to think that reading has become a past time of the past. The church we attend today, has a book club. They read a book of the month and get together on the last Sunday to discuss it. Jim and I wanted to join but, as I said, I can't read for very long at a time; we tried and stopped! My children and grand children are readers and I like that!

"Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophecy and heed the things which are written in it, for the time is near." Revelations 1:3 I imagine reading is important. "Take hold of instruction, do not let go. Guard her, for she is your life." Proverbs 4:13 We need to read because most things come with written instructions. When my mother said "Do not remove from this property," she meant exactly that. These were her books! We could read them but we needed to remember they belonged to her and to put them back where we found them.

God says; "And if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book." Revelation 22:19 When John wrote this, under God's direction, they meant it! God says basically the same thing earlier; "You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it." Deuteronomy 4:2a Why do you suppose God is so adamant? "Every word of God proves true; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar." Proverbs 30:5-6 I don't want to be found a liar! Do you?

There are many out in the world who say that God is only talking about the Law He gave to Moses and/or only the prophecy found in Revelations; not the whole Bible. I am one of those who believe that we are not to add, change or remove anything in God's word, because this is HIS word! If I change anything it becomes my word. Who do you want to believe? Me or God?

When I ask Jim about this, he just says; "Don't do it!" I guess that is why many say; "God said it, I believe it and that settles it!" How about You? Is that the stand you take or do you decide what you want to believe and if you don't agree, you make it fit your life style. I pray that you believe what you read and not be one of those who read only what they believe; they are ignorant of the word. I thank God for His written word! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/13/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

I thought that with today's high tech society reading would be a thing of the past but look at Barns and Nobles and Borders. Those stores are always full of people. I love those stores. Vernon bought me a Kindle because I love to read at night when I go to bed and it is nice and lightweight, no page turning, etc. But there is something about the pages of a book and being able to go back and reread a part. The kindle doesn't have the personality of a book I guess.

What is scary is to go to those book stores and see some of the horrible books they sell--and people flock to buy them. Very sad. It is Satan himself that is behind this "no censorship."

Reading the Bible and any other book are completely separate things. The book you read and enjoy and take away whatever you read about that challenged you. But when you read the Bible God's Spirit interacts with our Spirit and leads us to understanding what we are able to comprehend at that moment. So no matter how many times we read the Bible God leads us to new and deeper understanding during each read. Pretty exciting.