Sunday, February 14, 2010

GOD IS NOT A CRUEL GOD! 2/14/10

My son Danny was about 14 months old, when one sunday morning he fell in the hallway in our home, and hit his forehead upon the sharp edge of my bedroom door. Before we had a chance to get to him, he already had a bump in the middle of his forehead the size of a goose egg. We immediately left for the ER and were assured that he was fine, but to put cold compresses on it and he might have a headache. The charge was $45.00! I had already written our weekly tithe check and it was about $45.00! I didn't have anything extra so I wrote a check for the amount required and held back the tithe check. I felt guilty!

Later that week I was talking to our pastor and I told him about holding back my tithe and he took my hand and said; "Janie, God is not a cruel God! he understands how circumstances in this life, may call us to make certain decisions. He understands your heart better than you do. He understands how it feels when your child needs you." I never forgot how comforted and peaceful that made me feel. Especially the part where God knows my heart better than I do!

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man, nor is He served by human hands, as though He needed anything, since He himself gives to all men life and breath and everything." Acts 17:24-25 God has not relinquished his right of ownership of this world and everything in it. God gives us our life and breath; without it we would be nothing. God enters the church building, when we are there!

In Matthew 25:35-36 We read the passage that says; "When I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me." When the people asked; "when did we do this Lord?" He said in verse 39b; "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me." I ask you this; "Is it possible for us to do these things without money?

"For the Lord God is a sun and shield; He bestows favor and honor. No good thing does the Lord withhold from those who walk uprightly." Psalms 84:11 All the things we need or even desire can be ours because God gives us every good thing. That is if we walk uprightly! Even though the scriptures say that the love of money is evil it does not say that money is evil. Christians are to trust in God and not in riches and they are encouraged to be rich in good works.

Sometimes doing good works requires money. Tithing is a good method of financing the Lord's work. It's a way of expressing our love toward God and one another. Tithing is not a commandment but it is the only system that is fair and can work. Have we been able to grasp the full significance of supporting God's work today?

A tithe means 1/10th of your income. "A man's life (happiness) does not consist in the abundance of things he possesses. A man's "life" consists of his heart condition." Today is Valentine's day! We give candied hearts to our loved ones along with other gifts. It is a lovely time! Perhaps because Christmas is past; taxes are coming; diamonds are purchased, that it appears God takes a back seat when it comes to our tithe. Let's remember God's work never ceases; Let's remember our tithe; Let's remember all these things will be added unto you. If we do this first, all things work together for good to those who love the Lord! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/12/10

No comments: