Saturday, February 6, 2010

BEAUTIFUL FEET! 2/6/10

When I hear people complain about the praise songs I can't help but think they are complaining about God's word. Many of the scripture songs are just that; songs taken directly out of God's Word. "How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news; who announces peace and brings good news of happiness; who announces salvation and says to Zion, "Your God reigns!" Isaiah 52:7 Do you remember singing "Our God Reigns?" I do! As a matter of fact my sister Joyce wants that sung at her memorial service.

Usually when we think of feet our thoughts are drawn to shoes; walking; skipping; running and dancing. Sometimes we remember our own feet being dirty; sore; stubbed toes; athletes disease and don't touch my feet. Feet are part of the body that most want covered up and those who don't have them, would feel blessed if they did.

We don't normally think of feet as beautiful. We talk about a beautiful face, eyes, legs, a beautiful body, hair, smile and a beautiful personality. But do we ever hear much about the word "Beautiful" to describe feet? I am sure, there is some starlit out there who have insured their feet!

During the different periods in the Old Testament the people would fall away from the Lord. They did this time after time. God would be done with His people and then He would send a Priest, Judges, Kings and Prophets. The people would repent and come back to the Lord and then they would turn their backs on Him again. In Isaiah 52 God says no matter how constantly they blasphemed His name there would be a time when those will come and proclaim from the mountain tops His good news and eventually all the ends of the earth will see the salvation of our God. I believe that time has come!

"And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written: How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!" Romans 10:15 In Isaiah's day and also in Paul's day there was pretty much a time lag for those with beautiful feet. The lag time was because travel was mostly by foot. The victory has been won; but no one knows about it. The soldiers have not come home; the people are waiting; hoping for or perhaps dreading the word from the messenger.

All of us have had a messenger who has come to us with God's good news. When we first heard it we probably didn't respond as the messenger would have liked. As for me, I was very young! When the preacher asked me why I hadn't accepted God's gifts, I didn't know why. I was 9 years old! By the time I was 10, I knew I wanted Jesus in my life. I took that step and put my trust in God! It is easier for children to accept what God has to offer. Holding onto it is another story. Staying on the path is not easy! However, perseverance can pay off!

Perhaps some are not aware, that when you experienced Christ's death and resurrection through baptism, then you became His messenger! You are His witness! You have beautiful feet! The surprise is that God entrusts this message to us and turns our feet into beautiful feet. We can shout; "The victory has been won! Death does not have the last word!" How beautiful we have become! How beautiful your feet are! By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/3/10

No comments: