Sunday, February 28, 2010

WHERE IS YOUR HEART! 2/28/10

The ancient Egyptian priests who prepared bodies for mummification knew a great deal about anatomy. What they knew seem to get lost during the period called the Dark Ages. Many who knew little about the internal organs of the body, thought the pulsation or rhythmic throbbing of the big blood vessels, which varied in people and even from time to time in the same person's arm or leg, meant that their heart moved around from its proper place. Because of this lack of knowledge many outlandish metaphors came about.

You have heard it said; "to wear his heart on his sleeve?" Perhaps you have heard; "my heart is in my mouth!" With knowledge we know where our heart is located and we realize that the intensity of the throbbing and the rhythmic pulses are the beats of our pulse which can be found in strategic locations throughout our body. (Adapted from "Why you say it!" Garrison)

Recently I asked for prayer for my brother Lynn who was to see a Cardiologist from OHSU, because of a heart problem with regard to upcoming surgery. One of his heart valves has a thickness due to Cobalt treatments many years ago. I received a message from my Pastor that said; "Our prayer is for our God to firmly hold Lynn's heart, every step of the way." I mentally had a picture of God holding Lynn's heart in His hand. Can you see that?

Many times my heart aches because of circumstances, or situations that I have no control over. Many times I witness things that caused my heart to ache and tears to well up in my eyes. Many times I say to myself; "Oh my heart" as something touches me without warning. At my age, tears come easily and so do the heartaches. My Pastor also reminded me with a scripture of God's care; "The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you or forsake you; Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8

Because of the way we are, we become fretful and filled with worry. Because of the way we are, our hearts feel faint with weakness. Because of the way we are, we forget that God knows us so well. So well, that He says; "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." John 14:27

Yes, I can see God holding Lynn's heart because I have felt Him holding mine. You can't get to be my age without understanding God's passion for His people. He has walked beside me so many times and when I needed an arm around me, He has provided. God is so good to us, that is why David said; "My heart is steadfast O God, my heart is steadfast! I will sing and make melody! Awake, my soul! Awake, O harp and lyre! I will awake the dawn! I will give thanks to thee O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to thee among the nations. For thy steadfast love is great to the heavens, the faithfulness to the clouds. Be exalted O God, above the heavens! Let the glory be over all the earth!" Psalms 57:7-11

Where is your heart? Is it where your family is; your job; your next vacation; your home; or perhaps all of the above? God says your heart is where your treasure is. From a very early age I was interested in Godly things. I wanted to be where my family was and where my church family is. I never wanted to miss the youth group or the College and Career class. I loved teaching His word and still do. I still look forward to being in God's house with my family the church. I am glad some things have never changed.

There are many scriptures in God's word, that talk about the heart. God has promised that if we "Take delight in Him, He will give us the desires of our heart." Psalms 37:4 Let us stand on God's promises; Let Him search and know our hearts. Placing our heart in His hands is the best place for it and for us. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/26/10

No comments: