Saturday, February 27, 2010

EAU de COLOGNE 2/27/10

Did you know that pure air caused the Roman emperor Claudius to choose a special city? He named it after his wife Colonia Agrippina. By the time it became known as a beautiful city in Germany, with lots of cathedrals, it was known as Cologne in other parts of the world. An Italian, who lived there, learned to make a lighter perfume scent by adding alcohol and aromatic oils and it was called Cologne water or eau de Cologne. Before long it was adopted by many perfumers and we all use it today, because it is cheaper and much lighter in fragrance than perfumes. Not to mention that most times it comes in a larger bottle.

I love cologne! I wear it like water! I am often without because when I have some, I wear it everyday and spray it on several times during the day. Mainly because I can't smell it after the initial spraying. Jim really doesn't like to buy it for me because my taste in fragrances is spendy. This past Christmas it was my turn. I received three bottles of Red Door; two before Christmas from Jim and one from Santa Claus, who was not Jim. I am set for a few more months!

I have had lots of favorites. I wore Fabreja's fragrance, Straw Hat, years ago. After Jennifer was born, my sister Joyce introduced me to Hypnotic. I haven't been able to find that anywhere for years. However, it is still my favorite! Nothing compares to that fraquance for me.

Today, our world is bombarded with fragrances. Powder, lotions, creams, shampoos, conditioners, medicated products along with colognes and perfumes. You would think instead of making new ones they would just add and keep the old ones. I find that I respond to good smells. I compliment those men and women whose odors I find pleasing. Why not? It's a good thing!

Did you know that God loves incense and odors with good smelling fragrances? Did you know that your obedience is like a pleasing odor to God? Did you know that how you smell can please our God to the point of pure happiness? Did you know that God has a fragrance all His own? Did you know that we spread Christ's aroma of God everywhere we go? Well, you do now, because I am going to tell you about it.

"Then Noah built an altar to the Lord, and took of every clean animal and of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar. And when the Lord smelled the pleasing odor, the Lord said in His heart; I will never again curse the ground because of man." Genesis 8:20-21a

When God instituted the burnt offerings through Moses, many times we read where God requested items in addition to the burnt offering; "as a pleasing odor before the Lord; it is an offering by fire to the Lord.' Exodus 29:25 At one point God says He will meet them before the mercy seat every morning; "And Aaron shall burn fragrant incense on it." Exodus 30:7a After all the assignments had been laid out and the completion of the tent of meeting, God says; "And the anointing oil and the fragrant incense for the holy place, according to all that I have commanded you, they shall do." Exodus 31:11 Whenever God required a burnt offering He also requested an offering by fire; "A pleasing odor to the Lord." Leviticus 23:18d

Paul says the help and the gifts sent to him by the Philippians were; "A fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God." Philippians 4:18c Earlier Paul says; "But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumph and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of Him everywhere. For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing. To one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life." 2 Corinthians 2:14-15 We Christians should be wearing the Essence of Jerusalem", which is pleasing to God. By Jane Ann Crenshaw 2/20/10

1 comment:

elandreth said...

Yesterday was my last day as a full time employee at my Admin Assistant job. Whenever I step into the baby room to help out and rock a baby, they tell me afterward that baby smells like my perfume. I like it when people say "Ummm you smell good." (I go with the cheapie Avon because I really an cheap. To spend lots of money seems almost sinful to my budget.) I worked very hard at work to be sure that my life gave off the fragrance of Christ. People cleaned up their language around me and would not let me look at their "questionable" photos. They respected me because of what I stood for. And they honored me by 23 of them attending my church with me as their Christmas gift to me. I'm sad to leave for that reason that my light will no longer be shining before them each day. But I look forward to new and more opportunities to spread the fragrance of Christ. I have lots of ideas and we will see which ones float to the top.