Wednesday, April 1, 2009

BUILDING MEMORIES!
I remember
discussing with Jim’s Mom all the things she had witnessed in her life time. She was born 1891 and died at the grand old age of 90. Her mind was clear and her memory was fluid. She talked about the automobile and her one and only experience behind the wheel. When in her 70's she flew to Texas, she said; "That is the only way to travel"! In reflecting on the sinking of the Titanic she said, she was amazed how big ships could cross so much water and of course, the phenomena, when man landed on the moon. She liked radio but fell in love with television. Loved going to the movies and popcorn was a real treat.

Let’s discuss the camera! There are all kinds of cameras. Some cost lots of money and some don’t. There are disposable camera’s and then there are camera’s on your hand held cellular phones. Cameras are a tool we use to take pictures of memorable things, places, situations and people. These pictures, you can put on a disc and insert into your computer. The photo albums are becoming almost a thing of the past. Some pictures, you just put in a drawer and wish the good fairy would come and organize them for you. In any case, camera’s help us to keep our memories alive. For a long time, camera’s have been one of the ways we use to keep our memories alive.

We always talk about what we would grab quickly if our house should be on fire. I have heard many say; "My pictures! My photo albums!" I haven’t heard anyone say their computer but then if you owned a lap top then perhaps that is an item that could be saved. I know for Jim and me to save our computer is to say we are saving what is also important to us; Jim’s commentary of the Bible and my lesson’s taught over the years and Morning Glory Devotionals. However, Jim said I would be surprised just how fast he could disconnect that computer.

It is important for us to think about the memories we have made. It is important for us to have things that remind us of people, places and things. Our memories influence our children and grandchildren. They actually can become traditions in their lives which instill traditions for many future years. Stu Webber, in his book "Infinite Impact" says; "It is our past that has made us who we are"!

Not many memories are made while sittin, rockin and stairin! Not many good memories are made when we concentrate on the negative and not the positive. Personally, I like good memories! Bad memories make me sad! However, it is never too late to begin creating good, sound memories.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it"; Proverbs 22:6. The Lord says we are to teach our children and our grand children to know God and His ways. In our memory gathering, have we included God? Have we created a memory for our children and our grand children, of our loving God and His ways? Have you given your children and grandchildren this special gift, "The LORD?"

"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence O Lord and take not they Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation and renew a right spirit within me"; Psalm 51:10-12. This particular scripture we sing by memory. Let it also be a memory we live by! Jane Ann

No comments: