Thursday, April 9, 2009

MIDNIGHT SNACKS
I heard recently, by a Doctor who appears once a week on a nightly news show say; "It is not the snack that will cause extra weight gain, it is the type of snack that will cause extra weight gain". She indicated that pizza’s and/or ice cream with cookies are not a good snack. The good snack that I remember her mentioning had celery in it. I suppose celery with peanut butter would be good but I think I would just do without if it was just a snack of straight celery. Don’t get me wrong, I like celery!

Years ago I would go to the movies with a friend of mine. Doris and I would always stop at an all night eatery and have breakfast. Why not? It was usually very late in the evening or on the early side of morning. Breakfast always sounded good to us!

When Jim and I married one of the things I discovered about him was that every evening, perhaps a couple of hours after I would have served him his dinner, he would have a snack. A bowl of wheaties! I was happy to discover right away in our marriage that he liked wheaties so I didn’t have to fix him a big breakfast, but it hurt my feelings that he would want a bowl of that after I had slaved over his evening meal.

Late in the 20th century following the advent of television, snacks became a household staple. In my growing up years, popcorn cooked in a skillet was something to look forward to. I remember taking brown paper bags of popcorn to the movies. Those were the days!

Today, there are so many different kinds of snacks on the market that it is hard to have favorites, because you are trying something new almost every night. However, I do have favorites! I have always been partial to Frito’s but I can settle for classic potato chips. I also like garlic and herb crackers. Mix nuts are next and I can even help Jim eat his Cheezit’s.

I have found that as the years have passed by, my constitution isn’t adjusting very well to these evening morsels. I know that if I don’t eat anything after 7:00 pm I sleep better or at least I don’t have to take as many Pepcid’s as before.

I am one of those who prefers to go to bed as soon as it get’s dark or at least by 9:00 pm. You know the old adage; "Early to bed, early to rise; makes a girl heathy, wealthy and wise"! However, I remember a time during my political activities with the young adults from my church. We would be having so much fun with putting up and taking down posters; hosting BBQ’s with the intent of enticing others to become involved and just sitting around discussing various topics. Once, our hosts went to bed while the rest of us sat around talking, laughing and inspiring one another to do good works.

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them, intending to depart on the morrow and he prolonged his speech until midnight"; Acts 20:7. Do you recall a communion service lasting that long? "A young man named Eutychus was sitting in the window. He sank into a deep sleep as Paul talked still longer and being overcome with sleep, he fell down from the third story and was taken up dead"; Acts 20:9. I have to admit I have struggled to stay awake during the preaching of many preachers but never fell down dead. "Do not be alarmed, for his life is in him"; Acts 20:10. Paul continued with the communion service and then departed in the morning.

Many times I wake in the night and can’t seem to get back to sleep. Those of us who experience sleepless nights also discover we have this in common with David, the shepherd boy and with Paul and Silas. "At midnight, I rise to praise thee, because of thy righteous ordinances"; Psalm 119:62. "But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God"; Acts 16:25a. Substituting singing and praising God for eatable snacks is a very good thing. " In the silence of the night we seek your face"! Jane Ann

No comments: