Thursday, April 2, 2009

During our life time we have learned that what is some one elses trash becomes some one elses treasure. That is the theme of garage and/or yard sales. I love them and have never felt that I brought home somebodies trash, but I am sure Jim thinks we did. Trash! Treasures! Surely it is all in the eyes of the beholder.

WHERE IS YOUR FAVORITE BANK?
When I was a young girl
in the 5th or 6th grade our classroom went on a field trip to the bank. We all opened a savings account with just a few pennies and were given a little book. This was my first encounter with banking. Those who received allowances were able to build up quite a balance in their little books. On the other hand, I never received an allowance so whatever I found on the highways and byways I would take to the bank and was always pleased when my balance grew. I don’t remember whatever happened to the little savings account book, nor do I remember what happened to the $1.68.

There are a couple of old sayings that have always intrigued me; "You can take it to the bank" and "You can bank on it". Both of these sayings mean that you can depend on or build on. It is secure or no worries. We leave our treasures in a bank that have safety deposit boxes. We carry a key in our pocket and we feel safe! We open savings and checking accounts in the banks and feel that our securities are secure. We put our trust in the local savings and loan!

I suppose we have had reality hit us in the face with many financial institutions folding like according doors. We are worrying about our 401K and other retirement funds. We feel the pinch at the grocery stores but we still hang onto the treasures we feel are safe in the deposit box at our local bank.

Ever since I was about 10 years old, I discovered a different kind of treasure box. I have always worn hand me down clothes and have always been drawn to used furniture. I like new things but I don’t have to have new. I don’t like all old stuff but many times I just can’t help the satisfaction I feel when I come across a good deal or bargain. When God says to lay up your treasures in heaven he isn’t talking about old or new. He is talking about important things!

"O the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!" Romans 11:33. When I began to learn about the love of God and how I would become a part of his church, I knew that my accumulated wealth was not in things but in His Kingdom. "Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord"; Philippians 3:8a. Paul is telling us that knowing Jesus Christ as our Savior far surpasses all the untold wealth of this world. What a safety deposit box!

With Jesus Christ as my banker I believe "You can take it to the bank" If Jesus is your banker; "You can bank on it" because you can put your trust in Him. "For the Lord your God is a merciful God; he will not fail you or destroy you"; Deuteronomy 4:31a. I lay up my treasures in heaven and it is not a tax dodge! Jane Ann

No comments: