Thursday, April 30, 2009

WHY ME LORD!
Some years ago
Kris Kristopherson recorded a song that hit high on the charts. A song that everyone could relate to whether you were worldly or belonged to the Lord. It is the type of song that causes you to stop and think about your spiritual condition. Even now, when you hear it, your ears perk up and it hits a spot in your gut that spills all over you. The question we all ask at one time or another is; "Why me Lord?"

Of course when we think about ‘why me’, we are usually feeling sorry for ourselves. This song is a puzzlement to most because it is asking the question; "How can you love me Lord? Why did you choose me when there are so many in this lost world that deserve you and your love"?
To refresh your memory here are a few lines from this song that will give you goose bumps. Goose bumps because you know that God knows where you have been and who you were and he has chosen to sacrifice Himself to give you a bridge to cross over.

"Why me Lord; what have I ever done to deserve even one of the blessings I’ve known?" "Tell me Lord; what did I ever do to deserve love from you or the kindness you’ve shown?" "Lord help me Jesus, I wasted it so; help me Jesus, you know what I am!" "Now that I know, I needed you so; help me Jesus, my soul is in your hands!"

Yes, I have asked this same question; Why me Lord! I have felt insignificant and have pondered God’s love for me. I have not only found answers to this question in God’s word but I have found it in songs. I love words to songs! From my youth and until a few years ago I was a soloist and sang in choirs and duets with my husband. My favorite songs to sing were songs about Jesus. Words that I can identify with. Words that express what I feel and couldn’t seem to say. "I love Him because He first loved me". (Jesus; He is the Son of God); "Jesus, Jesus, He’s everything to me. Yes, He’s all the world to me". Another Jesus song ends with; "Where would I be without Him"! And then there is an old favorite; "I belong to Jesus, He set me free!" . I am so glad that; "I belong to Christ; and Christ belongs to God"; 1 Corinthians 3:23.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have eternal life"! John 3:16. Can’t you see that God loves you? I am amazed that although we say; "God is Love", we hesitate to abide by His words. We want to accept His love, but we question how can this be? "Why me Lord, we ask." Although we are not and never could be worthy by ourselves, God made us worthy when His Son went to the cross. His love makes us worthy! His act upon the cross has brought us this far. As I abide in His love today; I say to myself; "Thank you Lord for loving me so!" I am thankful that I am a sinner saved by God’s grace. Jane Ann

No comments: