Tuesday, September 15, 2009

IT'S EASY AS ONE, TWO, THREE!
What's easy as one, two, three? Getting out of bed if you are an early riser; If you are a runner, taking that first run at dawn; Going shopping for a new outfit, if you are trim and fit; Going to night school, if you are academically inclined. Notice the pattern here? The 'if' word is present. The 'if' word changes the equation on the first thought of action.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4;13 I believe Paul is correct; I believe that to be true! However, what 'if' I don't want to do all things or maybe I can't do all things. In my mind I can do many things. My thought patterns are very talented and creative, but my physical attributes leave a little to be desired. My capabilities are limited!

I use to be able to handle many projects at the same time and was successful in bringing them all to a spirited conclusion. However, as I have gotten older I find that too many projects cloud the mind and my agility is not up to the task. I guess that old song; "The old gray mare just ain't what she use to be", comes from a writer with experience.

As I read God's word, I have discovered that just about everywhere, God says; "I will do this, if you do this. The word 'if' is so small that we habitually skip over it as we read. "If your sons keep my covenant and my testimonies which I shall teach them, their sons also forever shall sit upon your throne." Psalms 132:12 We know that David's sons did not keep God's covenant and His testimonies and David's kingdom was split into two. One was Judah and the other was Israel. Do you remember which was David's?

"You are My friends, if you do what I command you." John 15:14 We call Jesus our friend but are we His friends. To be His friend, we are to keep His commandments. "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch, and dries up; and they gather them and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." John 15:6 This is talking about those who have not chosen Jesus Christ as their Savior and/or continue to live in sin.

"If you abide in Me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you." John 15:7 We often ask ourselves why God doesn't seem to answer our prayers. We should ask instead; "Am I abiding in Him and is His word abiding in me!" "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love." John 15:10 When we are obedient, we are showing God our love and devotion. God says we will continue in 'His ' love; when we keep His commandments.

John 15 and 16 are great chapters for the church, because it explains how we came to be. "You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He may give to you." John 15:16 Many believe this verse is saying that God chose us as individuals. Actually, it is saying that God chose the church as His kingdom and we then choose to be become a part of His church. "If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you." John 15:18 The world hates the church! The world says be tolerant like us; the church says we are to love you not agree with you. The world crucified our Lord! Yet God still loves the world!

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you." John 16:7 Without His blood being shed there would have been no resurrection and no church. There is no other way, but for us to come to Him through His son, Jesus Christ. We should not water down God's word to make it easier for us to follow. The "if''s" are not easy to swallow! Following God's word is not as easy as falling off a log but we can abide in it. We can do all things through Him who strengthen's us. Easy as one, two, three? What do you think? By Jane Ann Crenshaw 8/21/09

No comments: